The Student Room Group

Rates of change help

How would I answer a question like this?

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 20.57.54.jpg

This is what I have tried but I feel I have done part b) incorrectly which is needed for part c)

IMG_3784.jpg

Thanks!
Original post by Yatayyat
How would I answer a question like this?

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 20.57.54.jpg

This is what I have tried but I feel I have done part b) incorrectly which is needed for part c)

IMG_3784.jpg

Thanks!

For part b you've worked out the partial derivative of y wrt t assuming x is constant.

You want the total derivative since x is a function of t.

dydt=yt+yxdxdt\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}= \frac{\partial y }{\partial t}+\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
For part b you've worked out the partial derivative of y wrt t assuming x is constant.

dydt=yt+yxdxdt\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}= \frac{\partial y }{\partial t}+\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}

Is an understanding of partial derivatives required? Can you not just use a combination of the product rule and the chain rule?
Original post by Pangol
Is an understanding of partial derivatives required? Can you not just use a combination of the product rule and the chain rule?

My knowledge of mutlivariate calculus isn't too strong so I wouldn't like to make a definitive statement, though in this case, yes, it amounts to the same thing.
Reply 4
My knowledge of mutlivariate calculus isn't too strong so I wouldn't like to make a definitive statement, though in this case, yes, it amounts to the same thing.

Mine too! Far too many years since I've done anything like that. But I thought I was able to do this question using nothing beyond further maths A level (well, regular A level, but it's pushing at the very top end of that), so I wanted to get a second opinion.
Reply 5

How have you arrived to this equation? I’m sort of confused on this part

I wouldn't like to try and derive it as I'm rather rusty on this.

Just think of x as being a function of t as well and just the standard rules for differentation.
Reply 7

Put that aside for the moment - let's think about how you would differentiate this using a standard approach.

You have to differentiate sin(t)lnx\sin(t)\sqrt{\ln x}. This is a product, so using the product rule,

dydt=lnxddt(sin(t))+sin(t)ddt(lnx)\frac{dy}{dt}=\sqrt{\ln x}\frac{d}{dt}(\sin(t))+\sin(t) \frac{d}{dt}(\sqrt{\ln x})

The only part of this that should be any sort of problem is the very last part, ddt(lnx)\frac{d}{dt}(\sqrt{\ln x}). But by using the chain rule, this becomes ddx(lnx)dxdt\frac{d}{dx}(\sqrt{\ln x})\frac{dx}{dt} - and you aleady know what dxdt\frac{dx}{dt} is.

Basically, you cannot 'threat sqrt ln(x) as a constant' in the process of differentiation with respect to t.

This is because x is a non-constant function of t (the hint is that dx/dt is non zero!)

So, you need to use implicit differentiation along with product rule to differentiate y with respect to t.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks so I have obtained dy/dt now from using implicit differentiation which had involved using product rule and chain rule when sqrt(lnx) wrt x

IMG_3789.JPG

I used my dy/dt expression in part c) to get a k value of 2*sqrt(ln2)?

Is this okay?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Here is another Q that I have tried also

Screenshot 2020-02-05 at 19.38.38.png

This one seems to have a bit less differentiation but I have given this as my answers?

IMG_3790.JPG
Reply 11
Thanks so I have obtained dy/dt now from using implicit differentiation which had involved using product rule and chain rule when sqrt(lnx) wrt x

IMG_3789.JPG

I used my dy/dt expression in part c) to get a k value of 2*sqrt(ln2)?

Is this okay?

That's what I got, so I hope it's right!

If I were you, I would use the expression for dx/dt from (a) at the end of (b). Your dy/dt isn't really finished otherwise. There's no need to wait until you're working out the value of k in (c).
Reply 12
Original post by Pangol
That's what I got, so I hope it's right!

If I were you, I would use the expression for dx/dt from (a) at the end of (b). Your dy/dt isn't really finished otherwise. There's no need to wait until you're working out the value of k in (c).

Ok understood! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest