This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago

What is this thread about?
This is a joke bill in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). It's a piece of proposed legislation that is currently being debated, but I wouldn't take it too seriously! All are welcome and encouraged to ask questions about the bill's content and join in the debate – you don't have to be in a party or be an MP to do so.

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.

M582 – Rename Wigan Motion, Quirky Editor MP
This House calls upon the TSR government to rename Wigan "Nandy Town to acknowledge Rt Honourable Lisa Nandy's efforts to bring notoriety to the notoriety to the town of Wigan".
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This looks familiar
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Aye!
quirky editor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To be clear I did NOT intend this to be a joke motion.
Attached files
quirky editor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nandy put Wigan on the map and is the only non boomer candidate running.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by quirky editor)
To be clear I did NOT intend this to be a joke motion.
I agree with the speaker that this ought not to be sent to division.
quirky editor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
I agree with the speaker that this ought not to be sent to division.
While I admit this motion may seem petty, it is less of a joke than the TSR Liberal Democrat leadership.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
While I admit this motion may seem petty, it is less of a joke than the TSR Liberal Democrat leadership.
You realise that you're the one in a coalition with them...
quirky editor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You realise that you're the one in a coalition with them...
To defeat bull, sometimes lion must work with prey.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To defeat bull, sometimes lion must work with prey.
To defeat bull****, sometimes I'm required to state the obvious:

If you are having problems with your coalition partner, don't write that here.
quirky editor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To defeat bull****, sometimes I'm required to state the obvious:

If you are having problems with your coalition partner, don't write that here.
Who said anything about problem?
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
At least 1 half of the Lib Dem leadership is active. I've seen more activity in a cemetery than I have from the Labour leadership.
quirky editor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
At least 1 half of the Lib Dem leadership is active. I've seen more activity in a cemetery than I have from the Labour leadership.
We are ambush predators. You don't see us until it is too late.
Possibly this
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Aye. I think that this is a motion we can believe in.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
To be fair to Bossly, he is about as active as a chair should need to be. It's a shame that Bailey's health prevents him from doing more but JMR as prime minister has very little excuse for his poor showing. Labour is currently being ran by Bossly, Glaz and quirky.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To be fair to Bossly, he is about as active as a chair should need to be. It's a shame that Bailey's health prevents him from doing more but JMR as prime minister has very little excuse for his poor showing. Labour is currently being ran by Bossly, Glaz and quirky.
I was excluding Bossly and just counting Leader and Deputy, as far as I see Bossly seems the most active higher up in the government, so he can have this round of applause :clap2:
quirky editor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Bossly has significantly improved his activity since the last election. Glaz was rewarded with the chief whip position, and I became chancellor. It's unrealistic to expect people to be here 24/7. JMR is there when we need him.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I thought George Orwell was responsible for Wigan’s notoriety. The A level English syllabus must have changed then.

I would welcome a change of mind by the Speaker so this can go to a vote.

I am not advocating that the City of Brighton and Hove change its name to any of its notable citizens. Or Barnet to Maudling after the former notorious MP.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
"Nandy Town to acknowledge Rt Honourable Lisa Nandy's efforts to bring notoriety to the notoriety to the town of Wigan" is such a long town title :rofl:

I think this is the most amusing joke item we've had for a while, even if it isn't that funny as things go.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Labour chair is a mostly internal role so most of what he does in that role is unlikely to be visible to the rest of us.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (197)
67.93%
No (93)
32.07%

Watched Threads