wannawork4thegov
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have a civil service interview this week. I completed four competencies on the online form - which I was very confident with - and have been told I will also be tested on strengths which is scaring me, as there seems to be hundreds of them. Is it best to get new examples for the competencies, does sticking with the same ones look lazy? Any tips for the interview, it’s the dream job!
OnceUponAStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sticking with the one you used is fine. You can prepare a 2nd one so you have 2 each if you really want, but I would spend the time expanding your existing example to make sure you cover every point of the behaviour (competencies) now that you're not word limited. Don't worry if the interviewer ask you clarifying questions / to expand during the behaviour section, they're doing that if they think you haven't quite covered something in the behaviour and is prompting you to help you meet it.

You're not meant to be able to prepare for the strength questions. The only advice one can really give is to to quote "Engagement: you feel motivated, enthused and empowered when doing the activity."
wannawork4thegov
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by OnceUponAStudent)
Sticking with the one you used is fine. You can prepare a 2nd one so you have 2 each if you really want, but I would spend the time expanding your existing example to make sure you cover every point of the behaviour (competencies) now that you're not word limited. Don't worry if the interviewer ask you clarifying questions / to expand during the behaviour section, they're doing that if they think you haven't quite covered something in the behaviour and is prompting you to help you meet it.

You're not meant to be able to prepare for the strength questions. The only advice one can really give is to to quote "Engagement: you feel motivated, enthused and empowered when doing the activity."
Thank you! Are strengths tested through specific questions, or are they tested from the actions in my current competencies?
OnceUponAStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They're seperate part of the interview.

They're (in theory) related to the behaviours they say they are testing but you almost certainly wouldn't be able to tell which beheaviour a particular strength question is testing. You'll have a relatively short amount of time to answer. You can ask for the question to be repeated but the interviewer cannot provide any clarification to the questions. They literally have to say the questions word for word and leave you to answer it however you want in the time given, and they will cut you off if you're still speaking when the time's up. Everyone they're interviewing will be asked the questions with those exact same words.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
23.76%
No, but I have thought about it (56)
27.72%
No (98)
48.51%

Watched Threads