newtothestudent
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Sooooo, basically I'm in my 1st year of uni and I'm studying a law degree. Is it really important and necessary to get work experience? And if so, when would you suggest to do this? Not sure whether it's something you do after university or whether it's something you do during the summer or? Not sure my university specifically helps sets us up with work experience, I'm not too sure whether it's something we have to sort ourselves or whether the university will guide us through it. I know it is easily something I could ask one of my lecture tutors but I don't want to sound silly! How hard is it to get work experience in a law firm? Does it have to be in the field of law you're wanting to go into as I am still unsure yet?! Can anyone help me with any unanswered questions/further advice?????
bigeyeshijabi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends what type of Law you want to go into.
If it’s corporate law, then yes! Work experience is really necessary. This is because corporate law is so competitive to get into.

If its not and you want to go into family law ect, I wouldn’t worry until second year. You can get work experience in a local law firm and just ask to shadow them- ask personally because they tend to ignore email.

In the meantime, have a look at law first year insight schemes on google- just type that in. It will produce results for loads of different commercial law work experience. Most of them closed on the 31st Jan although there are a few that close in mid Feb.

Away from firms offering law work experience, try looking into your local citizen advice bureau. They will train you up as a volunteer legal advisor to help people out in your local community. This will show that you have passion and motivation for the law early on in your academics.

To stress- law work experience is important. The field is becoming increasingly more competitive- work experience is the best way to make yourself stand out.
Last edited by bigeyeshijabi; 1 month ago
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
no one at uni will help you get work experience, but they should be giving you guidance on how to find it yourself, even if it's just posters/books/manuals in the law school hallways. they don't have that where you are? what about ads for Street Law, court volunteering, other volunteering, or mentorships?

you won't sound silly asking your personal tutor or some other lecturer about work experience (except if you ask them to find it for you; that's your job). if you don't feel comfortable tho, get to know a second or third year law student. the ones that look like they never leave the library.

i know it's probably impossible to balance regular part-time work during the school year, but i would keep my feelers out to hopefully apply for something for the summer and maybe keep into fall for second year. do not wait to get your experience until after you graduate. a law degree alone or with the odd day of volunteering isn't going to stand you apart from the other thousands of grads that come out of UK law schools per year.

fyi CAB is a great idea as they always need volunteers, but for the record you will not trained to be a 'legal adviser'. no training at CAB will make you qualified to give legal advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
61.54%
No (50)
38.46%

Watched Threads