Far-right 'hate factory' still active on Facebook despite pledge to stop it Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
A network of profit-driven pages fuelling anti-Islamic sentiment was exposed two months ago but is still operating.

Facebook has failed to stop a coordinated far-right operation profiting from disinformation and anti-Islamic hate almost two months after it was publicly exposed.

The Guardian revealed in December that a network of Facebook’s largest far-right pages were part of a coordinated commercial enterprise that for years had been harvesting Islamophobic hate for profit, prompting promises from the social media giant that it would crack down on the network.

But two months after Facebook was made aware of the scheme, an analysis by the Guardian has confirmed that a number of the pages are still feeding off anti-Islamic content to drive readers to the same for-profit, third-party websites.

Coordinated posts have falsely claimed the German chancellor Angela Merkel is “paying terrorists to kill Jews” and that Australian police had “refused to arrest Muslims who waved terror flags against Jews in Melbourne”.

The posts were allowed despite Facebook’s repeated promises to crack down on coordinated inauthentic behaviour in the wake of the Cambridge Analytica and Russian interference scandals.

Driven by a single Israel-based administrator, the network previously revealed by the Guardian operated by churning out thousands of coordinated fake news posts to more than 1 million followers across the globe each week, funnelling audiences to a cluster of 10 ad-heavy websites and milking the traffic for profit.

The posts stoked anti-Islamic sentiment across the western world and influenced politics in Australia, Canada, the UK and the US by amplifying far-right parties such as Australia’s One Nation and vilifying Muslim politicians such as the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, the US congresswoman Ilhan Omar and Australian senator Mehreen Faruqi.

Faruqi told the Guardian the network represented a “new level of far-right organisation and coordination”, and accused Facebook of “profiteering from the proliferation of hate speech and abuse”.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...dge-to-stop-it
PlantsGalore74
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't understand the far right... How can it be their goal to cause misery and suffering to others because they don't like something?

Why don't they just have a Snickers and realise that they're stupid and look ridiculous to the majority of society?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PlantsGalore74)
I don't understand the far right... How can it be their goal to cause misery and suffering to others because they don't like something?

Why don't they just have a Snickers and realise that they're stupid and look ridiculous to the majority of society?
I imagine they say the exact same thing about everyone else.. perspective is an interesting thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (481)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.32%
No- I want it (231)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.67%

Watched Threads