The Student Room Group

How to pull all nighters?

I never have enough time to study and balance all the subjects or prioritize one. When the clock strikes 12, i immediately get this instant rush of fatigueness eventhough i took nap after school. I don' know why my body reacts that way? Because as soon as i go to bed around 12 to 'sleep', i stay awake till 3 am scrolling through phone until i pass out. I just want to break out from this cycle and get things done.
You'll have heard this before: don't take your phone to bed. Get an alarm clock, try a book or music or an audiobook on an ipod to fall asleep to if you can't manage it without distraction, but leave the phone outside your bedroom so you're not tempted. Your body gets tired at 12 because that's a decent time to sleep, and if you just don't give yourself any more distractions once you're in bed you'll be surprised at how easily you'll fall asleep. I realise that sounds rich coming from someone at 4.45 in the morning, but in my defence, I have serious jet lag.

Get your sleep sorted first, then focus on prioritising subjects. Try to find the right balance between ambition and reality, so you don't set yourself up for failure, and try to reward yourself in some way or other if you stick to your planning. You'll be amazed at how much more you'll get done once you're getting enough sleep!
Turn it off and leave it downstairs
Read a BOOK !
Social media was invented by the devil. Want a better happier life, delete the things, Fakebook, TwitterTwatter , Instasham . Do you really care what your mate had for breakfast or want to look at a strangers photos of their holiday in Italy?! If you can't delete it, allow yourself 15 mins per each one per day. Read other things, like a quality website like the DailyMail app, or the Guardian, even The Sun. The Week is good
Keep up with current affairs headlines. Guardian is good for Lifestyle and Film/TV/Books, etc. Ignore the politics.
Hi there. I’d start off by saying pulling an all-nighter is, from experience, the worst thing you could possibly do. The reason for your struggles is because you don’t get enough quality sleep at night, so you compensate by having a nap in the day- but even then it doesn’t make up for the night before. You sacrifice some time in the day you could use to work and you’re still not rested enough to finish. After that, staring at a screen wakes up your brain and keeps you up later than you need. Your brain makes you feel tired by releasing hormones in response to low levels of light during the evening, so staring at a screen with blue light especially messes up the release of those essential hormones that help you sleep. All of this combined is bound to make you tired and miserable and reduce your motivation to work.

Set a cutoff time for when you switch off your devices at night, and put them far away from your bed- ideally before you decide to lay down to give your brain time to wind down. If you’re looking for something to do between then and going to bed, try reading a book or doing something artistic- these are healthier for your brain leading up to sleeping, and they help you channel your stress. By getting your sleep schedule in order, you’ll actually be able to stay awake when you get home, and after a short period of relaxation you’ll be ready and more motivated to work.

Set yourself a weekly timetable of the work you’ll do, and it’s important to give yourself at least one day off during the week or at the weekend (I usually pick Fridays), and stop working at a good time in the evening. Don’t get in bed later than 11- you need at least 8 hours of sleep to function at your best. Hope this helps, and good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
Red bull works or strong coffee lots don't drink more than 2 cans of red bull though as it's known to kill people if used in excess. Though all nighters won't work if you're 23 or older.i tried this year then realized my younger days are gone. Around 17 to 22 i was good at not sleeping for 3 days straight . Now it feels impossible for me . It's all about age.

Best to sleep at night and study 6 am to midnight. All nighters are not a way to get things done. It's for lazy students with bad study habits.

Unless you're in serious trouble and you're behind on studying for exams or you fear you'll mess up your coursework i don't recommend all nighters unless it's crucial to your survival and passing
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest