Sasha Shasha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How to know the shape of the molecule is symmetrical or asymmrtrical ?
To identify whether is polar or non polar molecules
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sasha Shasha)
How to know the shape of the molecule is symmetrical or asymmrtrical ?
To identify whether is polar or non polar molecules
Which spec are you doing?
Sasha Shasha
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
Which spec are you doing?
For example, a molecule of carbon dioxide has two carbon—oxygen bonds that are polar due to the electronegativity difference between the carbon and oxygen atoms.
But it has no net dipole moment because its symmetrical
Dipoles cancel out , why and how ? How to know which one is symmetrical
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For example, a molecule of carbon dioxide has two carbon—oxygen bonds that are polar due to the electronegativity difference between the carbon and oxygen atoms.
Determining whether something is symmetrical or not is quite simple, and I assume you can do this

Electronegativity is the ability of an atom to attract electrons in a covalent bond; let’s just call this the ‘pull’ of electrons
If you consider that in a carbon dioxide molecule both C=O bonds are of the same electronegativity, then the ‘pull’ of electrons on one side of the molecule is the same as the ‘pull’ of electrons on the other side of the molecule
Therefore the dipoles cancel out because on both sides of the molecule, there’s no overall ‘pull’ of electrons, and so there’s no net dipole
This is due to the molecule being symmetrical, i.e. quite simply, one side of the molecule is identical to the other side, and thus both sides will counteract each other

If you were to take an asymmetrical molecule, you’d see that it does have a net dipole, for reasons opposite to above
Consider the following simple molecules: methane, chloromethane, dichloromethane, trichloromethane and tetrachloromethane
If you have a quick search on Wikipedia for these molecules, you’ll see that the dipole moments of them change with how symmetrical they are; this is such that methane and tetrachloromethane have no dipole moment, as they are completely symmetrical
Last edited by Kian Stevens; 1 month ago
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depening on which exam board you do, there are shortcuts.
Sasha Shasha
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
Determining whether something is symmetrical or not is quite simple, and I assume you can do this

Electronegativity is the ability of an atom to attract electrons in a covalent bond; let’s just call this the ‘pull’ of electrons
If you consider that in a carbon dioxide molecule both C=O bonds are of the same electronegativity, then the ‘pull’ of electrons on one side of the molecule is the same as the ‘pull’ of electrons on the other side of the molecule
Therefore the dipoles cancel out because on both sides of the molecule, there’s no overall ‘pull’ of electrons, and so there’s no net dipole
This is due to the molecule being symmetrical, i.e. quite simply, one side of the molecule is identical to the other side, and thus both sides will counteract each other

If you were to take an asymmetrical molecule, you’d see that it does have a net dipole, for reasons opposite to above
Consider the following simple molecules: methane, chloromethane, dichloromethane, trichloromethane and tetrachloromethane
If you have a quick search on Wikipedia for these molecules, you’ll see that the dipole moments of them change with how symmetrical they are; this is such that methane and tetrachloromethane have no dipole moment, as they are completely symmetrical
But carbon dioxide molecule both C=O bonds are of the different electronegativity
Sasha Shasha
Rep:
?
Depening on which exam board you do, there are shortcuts.
A level
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A level
OCR A/B? Edexcel? AQA? etc.
Sasha Shasha
Rep:
?
OCR A/B? Edexcel? AQA? etc.
CIE
HRobson_BMC
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Carbon dioxide is a linear molecule, so the pull of electrons from one C=O bond is directly opposed by that of the other C=O bond. This means that the molecule is symmetrical, and hence the opposing pulls cancel out and the strongest intermolecukar force possible is only induced dipole/Van der Waals forces.

To find out the shape of a molecule, use VSEPR rules, or sometimes it can just be drawn out in displayed formula.
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
CIE
According to the examples on your spec, if a molecule has no lone pairs, then it will be symmetrical, the dipoles will cancel out and it will be non-polar.

If it has lone pairs, they won't and it won't.
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
According to the examples on your spec, if a molecule has no lone pairs, then it will be symmetrical, the dipoles will cancel out and it will be non-polar.

If it has lone pairs, they won't and it won't.
For clarity, I assume you mean that the central atom has no lone pairs, not the molecule itself?
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
For clarity, I assume you mean that the central atom has no lone pairs, not the molecule itself?
Good point, that's exactly what I meant - CO2 has no lp on the central C, but the lp on each of the O atoms have no effect on the shape around the C.
Sasha Shasha
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Good point, that's exactly what I meant - CO2 has no lp on the central C, but the lp on each of the O atoms have no effect on the shape around the C.
How about in Cis trans isomerism ? Why trans isomer is more symmetrical
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (101)
61.21%
No (64)
38.79%

Watched Threads