How to start revision with three months left (GCSEs)

Watch
isabellazafe
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've started revision today but I'm a bit overwhelmed with what to do.
I can only study 3 mornings a week and the weekends and also in lessons for the subjects we have completed content in. Is 2 hours of revision a day enough (1 hr on each topic)? I also haven't taken notes for all subjects, how much time should I spend doing that ( I thought 2 weeks). After I've taken notes what do I do? (I'm also trying to do maths and french every day for 10 minutes). I'm also trying to get all 9s and 8s (7 in french), For some subjects it will be fairly easy to get those grades but for other I need to go up by 3 grades.

Thanks in advance!
lewis.h
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by isabellazafe)
I've started revision today but I'm a bit overwhelmed with what to do.
I can only study 3 mornings a week and the weekends and also in lessons for the subjects we have completed content in. Is 2 hours of revision a day enough (1 hr on each topic)? I also haven't taken notes for all subjects, how much time should I spend doing that ( I thought 2 weeks). After I've taken notes what do I do? (I'm also trying to do maths and french every day for 10 minutes). I'm also trying to get all 9s and 8s (7 in french), For some subjects it will be fairly easy to get those grades but for other I need to go up by 3 grades.

Thanks in advance!
If you only want a few 8s and 9s, then 2 hours a day may be ok. I'd try and get at least 3 hours a day in on weekends. Make sure you prioritise practise questions over note taking though, people just sit there copying from the textbook and think it's 'revision'. Practise questions will crush your pride now as will lose loads of marks , but you will be so well prepared on the day of your GCSE exams that it will be a lot easier to ace the exam , knowing you've ironed out any mistakes.

Watch Free Science lessons, Corbett Maths and Lacey Geography and the Spanish Dude on youtube. These are people who secured me straight 9s and 8s.

I'll be posting some stuff to help you get through GCSEs soon on my youtube channel , https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9h...ftS-NXuEYI0bUQ . I hope this has helped you.
TimotheeLaurie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
lewis.h hi! I’m currently getting 5s and 6s in my mock and I’m aiming for 8s and 9s in my gcse. Do you think it’s possible to get such grades in 3 months?
lewis.h
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TimotheeLaurie)
lewis.h hi! I’m currently getting 5s and 6s in my mock and I’m aiming for 8s and 9s in my gcse. Do you think it’s possible to get such grades in 3 months?
Easily. You do need to work really hard though. Like, go to as many boosters as you can, blitz revision at least 6 days a week and give yourself fridays off. Make sure you put time pressure on yourself because people become stagnant just because they're in the home environment. You need to think critically, like why is it taking me 15 minutes to do a 6 marker just because I am at home ? Make sure you do LOADS of practise quesitons, Use this website, https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/
TimotheeLaurie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
lewis.h okay! What is blitz revision btw?
lewis.h
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TimotheeLaurie)
lewis.h okay! What is blitz revision btw?
Basically blurt everything you know on each topic from memory. Give yourself 20 minutes to do it. Then, see what you forgot that was mentioned in the revision guide and make flaschards on these pieces of information, testing yourself on them as they are not in your long term memory.
TimotheeLaurie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
lewis.h great idea!
isabellazafe
Rep:
?
(Original post by lewis.h)
If you only want a few 8s and 9s, then 2 hours a day may be ok. I'd try and get at least 3 hours a day in on weekends. Make sure you prioritise practise questions over note taking though, people just sit there copying from the textbook and think it's 'revision'. Practise questions will crush your pride now as will lose loads of marks , but you will be so well prepared on the day of your GCSE exams that it will be a lot easier to ace the exam , knowing you've ironed out any mistakes.

Watch Free Science lessons, Corbett Maths and Lacey Geography and the Spanish Dude on youtube. These are people who secured me straight 9s and 8s.

I'll be posting some stuff to help you get through GCSEs soon on my youtube channel , https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9h...ftS-NXuEYI0bUQ . I hope this has helped you.
thank you so much!! If we have revision classes at school for some subjects should I still count that towards study if it's focused?
Peanut2847
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I always love to use ‘Growing and Condensing’ as a revision technique. It’s really helpful for remembering both important points and specific details. I would check it out if I were you!
isabellazafe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Peanut2847)
I always love to use ‘Growing and Condensing’ as a revision technique. It’s really helpful for remembering both important points and specific details. I would check it out if I were you!
what is growing and condensing? Do you just cut your notes down bit by bit?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (206)
33.28%
No (413)
66.72%

Watched Threads