Firearms banned at Cambridge SU due to 'triggering' Watch

StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Or if some loony came into your school and blew away and bunch of your friends? That sounds quite reasonable grounds to have issues with them.
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Or if some loony came into your school and blew away and bunch of your friends? That sounds quite reasonable grounds to have issues with them.
A scenario that’s not realistic in the U.K. at all with the strictness of our gun laws...
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Or at least, not realistic for anyone under about 32/33.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Bearing in mind I'm old enough to remember and v close to the school massacre that brought those laws in. Do you appreciate I find your statement somewhat silly?
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Or at least, not realistic for anyone under about 32/33.
True, there isn’t a lot stopping someone with a legally held semi auto .22 walking into a school and shooting up the place but the legal gun holders of the U.K. seem to be a pretty law abiding bunch on the whole, probably statistically more law abiding than non gun holders
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Bearing in mind I'm old enough to remember and v close to the school massacre that brought those laws in. Do you appreciate I find your statement somewhat silly?
You might be old enough, but given this is a notion for a university, the overwhelming majority of people there won't be.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I appreciate that there are nutjobs everywhere and that massacre did lead to a knee jerk total ban on handguns (one that can be circumvented using long barrelled pistols in any case) but our gun laws are undeniably effective at preventing school shootings.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You might be old enough, but given this is a notion for a university, the overwhelming majority of people there won't be.
Then they should learn some history, they're students after all.

My reply to AR was obv more in a personal context, as far as i'm concerned they're saying "Things that happen are not realistic'
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Then they should learn some history, they're students after all.

My reply to AR was obv more in a personal context, as far as i'm concerned they're saying "Things that happen are not realistic'
Yes, but there's a difference between learning history and having memories of experiencing it. I'm old enough to remember Dunblane, I was at school at the time, but that gives me a very different perspective of it to someone who's, say, 20 years old now and has only ever read about it as a historical exercise.
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't get the use of the word "glorification". The military do not glorify weapons, they are simply tools to do a job. A dangerous job.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
With respect I feel that's a bit of a tangent. You said such an event wasn't 'realistic at all', I feel you chose your words poorly. It can certainly be argued that the laws we have now make it significantly less likely, however it's still completely within the realms of realistic possibility.

Guns, just like drugs, are still out there despite laws, and the seemingly never ending headlines indicate there still a lot of violent angry people out there, ( The things people still do to kids?). I fell we're a loooong way from being able to claim we're the sort of utopia where these things aren't realistic at all.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
With respect I feel that's a bit of a tangent. You said such an event wasn't 'realistic at all', I feel you chose your words poorly. It can certainly be argued that the laws we have now make it significantly less likely, however it's still completely within the realms of realistic possibility.

Guns, just like drugs, are still out there despite laws, and the seemingly never ending headlines indicate there still a lot of violent angry people out there, ( The things people still do to kids?). I fell we're a loooong way from being able to claim we're the sort of utopia where these things aren't realistic at all.
Okay, it isn’t entirely unrealistic, but it is extremely unlikely; the gun owning community in the U.K. is statistically more law abiding than the non gun owning community, this combined with the fact there’s so few firearms in the first place and the laws make it very very unlikely indeed there’s going to be school shootings in the uk. A more rational and realistic opposition in this country would be to knives or acid, considering both are far more widely accessible and comprise a much larger % of attacks. Worrying about guns in the U.K. is tantamount to worrying about the probability of one contracting a tropical disease
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, but there's a difference between learning history and having memories of experiencing it. I'm old enough to remember Dunblane, I was at school at the time, but that gives me a very different perspective of it to someone who's, say, 20 years old now and has only ever read about it as a historical exercise.
This is true, I'm not really debating it on behalf of 20 year old's at Cambridge though, more replying to an opinion on this thread itself.

I'm not trying to make a huge issue of it, I just wanted to make it clear that there are people who have a different perspective, I just feel AR worded their point pretty badly. Things that have happened before can always happened again if your not careful.

How many people day in, day out, fall foul to various assumptions of 'I bet this won't happen'
Last edited by StriderHort; 3 weeks ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Speaking as someone with an American parent and a fair amount of time spent in the US, I can only say that "you don't know how lucky you are".

Incidentally, the guns=sport mantra is exactly the same one used by the NRA and pro-gun lobbies in the US and elsewhere to justify mass gun spreading into communities that lead to the daily carnage we see in many areas of the US and some other places in the world.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
It's nothing to do with firearms, she has a long history of putting the boot in anything military.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...udents-reject/

Attachment 878488
Can you please stop sharing images of her ugly yellow teeth it's very triggering
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Speaking as someone with an American parent and a fair amount of time spent in the US, I can only say that "you don't know how lucky you are".

Incidentally, the guns=sport mantra is exactly the same one used by the NRA and pro-gun lobbies in the US and elsewhere to justify mass gun spreading into communities that lead to the daily carnage we see in many areas of the US and some other places in the world.
So why don't we see that same trend emerging in the UK?

Speaking as a former competition target and clay pigeon shooter I would never advocate the widespread ownership of firearms. I don't even trust most people to use a knife in a kitchen let alone a firearm in the open.
Last edited by DiddyDec; 3 weeks ago
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Sports and hunting is a legitimate reason to own firearms; however, this can still be accomplished, as the UK laws demonstrate, without handing guns out like candy as the USA does
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Incidentally, the guns=sport mantra is exactly the same one used by the NRA and pro-gun lobbies in the US and elsewhere to justify mass gun spreading into communities that lead to the daily carnage we see in many areas of the US and some other places in the world.A
Amazing how many athletes have a baseball bat at home yet apparently cannot afford a single baseball between them. :rolleyes:

I get your point, but tbh my reply is kind of the same logic as my last ones, I feel you're being overconfident. The trouble with the NON law abiding gun owners is they don't willingly supply statistics. I have friends who have lost family to shootings, but again we're going back a bit, I've somewhat depressingly been offered them for sale twice, once as a teen while buying some pills to go clubbing, quite literally 'here d'ye want a gun wi that?'. I feel there's still enough firearms related incidents in the UK to have a degree of worry, certainly too many to think we've eradicated them from our streets.

I do basically agree with knives and chemicals, and I feel they're a bigger current problem, the trouble is plenty of people genuinely need them.
julietlima3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ah yes, Stella the "Welfare and Rights" officer. Apparently the rights of those who practice a legal sporting discipline (which are also featured in the Olympics) don't count.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Amazing how many athletes have a baseball bat at home yet apparently cannot afford a single baseball between them. :rolleyes:

I get your point, but tbh my reply is kind of the same logic as my last ones, I feel you're being overconfident. The trouble with the NON law abiding gun owners is they don't willingly supply statistics. I have friends who have lost family to shootings, but again we're going back a bit, I've somewhat depressingly been offered them for sale twice, once as a teen while buying some pills to go clubbing, quite literally 'here d'ye want a gun wi that?'. I feel there's still enough firearms related incidents in the UK to have a degree of worry, certainly too many to think we've eradicated them from our streets.

I do basically agree with knives and chemicals, and I feel they're a bigger current problem, the trouble is plenty of people genuinely need them.
I’m not sure on that; they do publish figures on crimes due to firearms and even with the NI’s relatively liberal stance on handgun ownership our gun death rate is certainly one of the lowest out of the high earning countries and definitely one of the lowest in the world. Most of the deaths that do occur are suicides, not homicides.

I appreciate that you, as are all individual people, are a product of your own personal experiences. It is highly unlikely though that any twenty year old has ever gone to buy drugs and been offered a gun. It’s just as unlikely, considering the rarity of guns in the U.K. in general even that any of their parents own firearms. Probability speaking the most experience they have of firearms is likely from video games. The banning of guns as “triggering” is a political posturing position adopted by the extreme leftists of the Cambridge SU that has little basis for action. If they actually wanted to be more constructive they’d work torwards resolving other issues, such as poverty, homelessness and gang mentalities, all causes of crime
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (481)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.32%
No- I want it (231)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.67%

Watched Threads