Firearms banned at Cambridge SU due to 'triggering' Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
they should ban images of mr guavara.... he had a nasty habit of shooting unarmed people
OK Boomer. :teehee:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
OK Boomer. :teehee:
https://i.imgur.com/KCNc3bb.png?1
dking2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Can anyone explain why they NEED to have guns at the freshers fair?

If you are going to join a rifle club then presumably you know what a rifle looks like. If not why not just have leaflets, You tube clips etc showing what the club does. If I plan to join a rugby club I do not need to see a rugby ball and gum shield on a table to convince me.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by dking2001)

If you are going to join a rifle club then presumably you know what a rifle looks like. If not why not just have leaflets, You tube clips etc showing what the club does. If I plan to join a rugby club I do not need to see a rugby ball and gum shield on a table to convince me.
It's almost certain that they didn't ever have them on display in the first place - the paperwork for the armed forces side on that is ridiculous - but the point of the original motion was to ban the armed forces from campus in all forms. This got watered down to a ban on weapons.
julietlima3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

What does "a rifle" look like? You can't really answer that because rifles come in all shapes and forms. From highly spec'd aluminiumised Olympic air rifles, to "classic" rifles with wooden stocks, to more modern designs with polymer stocks. What if many people's first thoughts of rifles are the black "assault-style" rifles? That may be a big turn-off for many people (not that there's anything wrong with modern sporting rifles). Comparing this to a rugby club is also not very fair, because rugby is much more common and visible than shooting. Most people will have been exposed to rugby either through school, or watching it on TV. You can't say the same about target shooting, where a university club may be their first exposure to such a sport. So that's why it helps to have the equipment on display so people can see what it is they will be shooting with.

You've also missed half the point of a Freshers' fair, in that it's a way for clubs or societies to advertise and attract interest from people who perhaps had no initial intention of joining when they entered the fair. Not everyone (in fact, I doubt very many) who go to such a fair know exactly what club they want to join and have done all the research beforehand.
Last edited by julietlima3; 3 weeks ago
julietlima3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
It's almost certain that they didn't ever have them on display in the first place - the paperwork for the armed forces side on that is ridiculous - but the point of the original motion was to ban the armed forces from campus in all forms. This got watered down to a ban on weapons.
I can confirm that for the few years in which I manned the revolver and pistol club stand, we did have Steyr air pistols and Ruger 10/22 gallery rifles on display, chained to the desks.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
The university Rifle Club did, it's in the link in post #5: "a committee member from Cambridge University Rifle Association, said: “The army provide no personnel at the Freshers’ Fair, neither do the RAF”. She pointed out the firearms are chained to the desk and inactive at the fair, and the rifle “is no different from any other piece of sporting equipment”."
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

What's more interesting and will draw people in, leaflets and film clips, or something more interactive like having rifles? The RAF Regiment recruitment trailer used at events went from displays of uniform, contents of a Bergen and photos to an urban shooting gallery with electronic weapons; which do you think got the crowds?

People know what judo is, but I've seen plenty of martial arts clubs attract attention with live demos!
dking2001
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think you support my point here. If people can find out about rugby by watching it on TV then why not have a TV at the freshers fair showing what shooting clubs do. I admit that this is not as eye-catching as having guns on the desk but if the argument is that these guns can cause distress to some people and that argument has been supported via a vote then you have to fall back to the next best option.

I have never seen a game of lacrosse but would not need to hold a lacrosse stick to think 'yes I'd like to try that'
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
if the argument is that these guns can cause distress to some people and that argument has been supported via a vote then you have to fall back to the next best option.
It's also true that that argument is balls and not based on reality.

It's also true, again, that that want the original intention of the motion, that they had to water it down when their original motion got called out as being nonsense.

This was never really about the guns, this was about juvenile leftist politics being anti-military.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

The whole point is to attract people, for a rifle club rifles attract people.

For those more interested they may want to see which rifles are on offer.

These are all rifles;

messy accountant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This blog sounds like right wing thrash. If you read it clearly it said 55% voted for the proposal so implying that the students of cambridge by 55% did not want this so why should it affect any one else. Why should any one have a right to enforce their view on the majority of that school.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think you support my point here. If people can find out about rugby by watching it on TV then why not have a TV at the freshers fair showing what shooting clubs do. I admit that this is not as eye-catching as having guns on the desk but if the argument is that these guns can cause distress to some people and that argument has been supported via a vote then you have to fall back to the next best option.

I have never seen a game of lacrosse but would not need to hold a lacrosse stick to think 'yes I'd like to try that'
Who was that aimed at? Use reply.

And how many people have been distressed by the guns on display? What do they do if they see armed police with uniforms and weapons? Do they never watch tv or read a newspaper? Why does CUSU also claim a military presence goes against their charitable aims when the Armed Forces undertake humanitarian and charitable activities? Let's see evidence, as CUSU is finding a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Wouldn't you agree though that there is a difference between displaying what are basically sports equipment and firearms? Some students come to our universities from war zones. It must be pretty strange, not to say cruel in some cases, for them to see guns being glorified in universities.
Hunting is a sport for example and it is one that will likely see the use of firearms. You can't really paint objects as one or the other because objects rarely have one single use. A car is form of transport but also a deadly weapon. A knife is a simple kitchen utensil that could be your murderer's weapon.

That being said though, it makes complete sense for this happen. Besides, isn't it already illegal to be carrying a firearm without good reason anyway?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
The whole point is to attract people, for a rifle club rifles attract people.

For those more interested they may want to see which rifles are on offer.

These are all rifles;

It's actually pretty sad that some folks nearly have an orgasm looking at them. There's a definite correlation between gun 'sports' and a desire to hurt.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheMcSame)
Hunting is a sport for example and it is one that will likely see the use of firearms. You can't really paint objects as one or the other because objects rarely have one single use. A car is form of transport but also a deadly weapon. A knife is a simple kitchen utensil that could be your murderer's weapon.

That being said though, it makes complete sense for this happen. Besides, isn't it already illegal to be carrying a firearm without good reason anyway?
Knives and cars don't have killing as their primary design goal, or even secondary. Guns do.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's actually pretty sad that some folks nearly have an orgasm looking at them. There's a definite correlation between gun 'sports' and a desire to hurt.
There absolutely, categorically isn't.

And you know better than that.
Last edited by Drewski; 3 weeks ago
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I knew this was going to get onto hunting at some point and I'm not going there on this thread, that would be derailing.

Although I would love to see someone hunt with the Boys :lol:
julietlima3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What an absolutely unsubstantiated and offensive claim.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Whenever you see that something has been banned at a univerisity as it might 'trigger' someone you know that the Marxists have managed to do their damage once again by shutting out something they disapprove of.

One wonders why there is no mention of banning the cooking society from displaying knives, the fencing society from displaying sabres, or the athletics society from displaying javelins, all of which are more relevant to British-based terrorists at the moment.

It rather begs the question wny students are so foolish as to let the Marxists take charge. Are there so few sensible students who are willing to vote against them?

It also raises the question of how many flakey people are currently hiding in university campuses, unable to emerge and play a part in the normal world, where they would be unprotected by their safe spaces and nanny policies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (481)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.32%
No- I want it (231)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.67%

Watched Threads