Second year transfer - I need your opinion please Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
If a university confirms to you that they will consider your application and to go ahead and make the year 2 entry application, and that they 'look forward to receiving your application', does this mean that I'm likely to get an offer?

They also said they will consider as 'the course is not full'.

By the way, all of this is after informing them of my reasons for wanting to transfer, my A Levels (that do NOT meet their requirements), my current uni modules and their credit worth, and my current results in my first year assignments to date.

Thank you in advance.
merl0106
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If a university confirms to you that they will consider your application and to go ahead and make the year 2 entry application, and that they 'look forward to receiving your application', does this mean that I'm likely to get an offer?

By the way, all of this is after informing them of my reasons for wanting to transfer, my A Levels (that do NOT meet their requirements), my current uni modules and their credit worth, and my current results in my first year assignments to date.

Thank you in advance.
How likely you are to get an offer depends on the overall strength of your application, their availability (which may fluctuate yearly) and your reason for changing course. Without knowing all these variables, it’s hard to determine the likelihood of you getting an offer. The only thing you can do is submit an application to the best of your ability and wait for their assessment.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by merl0106)
How likely you are to get an offer depends on the overall strength of your application, their availability (which may fluctuate yearly) and your reason for changing course. Without knowing all these variables, it’s hard to determine the likelihood of you getting an offer. The only thing you can do is submit an application to the best of your ability and wait for their assessment.
Thanks
Anonymous #1
Would appreciate anyone else's opinion on this
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Thank you in advance.
Signing off with 'we look forward to receiving your application' is quite a generic polite statement, and probably means very little. Best not to read too much into things until they've had a chance to view your full application.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Signing off with 'we look forward to receiving your application' is quite a generic polite statement, and probably means very little. Best not to read too much into things until they've had a chance to view your full application.
I guess what I really want to know is, if after telling them my A Levels (that don't meet their requirements due to extenuating circumstances surrounding them), they still told me to go ahead and apply and that 'the course is not full', would this, in your opinion, mean I'm likely to get an offer?

They also specified they'll consider my application 'provided' I apply for the particular course I enquired about. Which to me seems like they kinda want me?

Thanks
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I guess what I really want to know is, if after telling them my A Levels (that don't meet their requirements due to extenuating circumstances surrounding them), they still told me to go ahead and apply and that 'the course is not full', would this, in your opinion, mean I'm likely to get an offer?

They also specified they'll consider my application 'provided' I apply for the particular course I enquired about. Which to me seems like they kinda want me?

Thanks
Considering an application is different to definitely accepting one. If your A levels don't meet the requirements, they may want to formally decline your application after you've applied (many universities won't commit to explicitly telling potential applicants that they will be rejected, if contacted through an email enquiry), or they may want to see if other aspects of your application make up for your lack of preferred A level grades. Until a decision has been made, it's impossible to predict what they might do. If the course isn't full, it depends on how desperate they are to fill spaces, and whether they predict that you will succeed on the course (given your A levels).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Considering an application is different to definitely accepting one. If your A levels don't meet the requirements, they may want to formally decline your application after you've applied (many universities won't commit to explicitly telling potential applicants that they will be rejected, if contacted through an email enquiry), or they may want to see if other aspects of your application make up for your lack of preferred A level grades. Until a decision has been made, it's impossible to predict what they might do. If the course isn't full, it depends on how desperate they are to fill spaces, and whether they predict that you will succeed on the course (given your A levels).
Thanks
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Does anyone else have any opinions about this?
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The two comments above nail this. It’s a polite turn of phrase but gives zero commitment to accepting your application. They are thinking about it, that’s as far as they are willing to go right now.
istudyeconomics
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Send an application you have nothing to lose.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by istudyeconomics)
Send an application you have nothing to lose.
I already did, I'm just wondering how likely it is that i'll get an offer... just waiting now.
istudyeconomics
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I already did, I'm just wondering how likely it is that i'll get an offer... just waiting now.
youll get an offer if you're a levels are close to their normal requirements and if youre achieving a 2:1 in your first year.

What course u applying for?
you might have a good chance if they have a lot of spaces.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
The two comments above nail this. It’s a polite turn of phrase but gives zero commitment to accepting your application. They are thinking about it, that’s as far as they are willing to go right now.
Another thing they said is to 'apply as soon as possible' (because I was enquiring after the 15th Jan deadline), and that 'the course is not full'.

Another thing is that I'm considered a 'mature student' since I'm 21. Do you think being a mature student will make them more lenient regarding not meeting their A Level requirements? I read everything on their website and this is kinda what it seemed to suggest; they mentioned looking at each application on an 'individual basis'.
Anonymous #1
youll get an offer if you're a levels are close to their normal requirements and if youre achieving a 2:1 in your first year.

My A Levels aren't close to their normal requirements. At all. They're not very good because of extenuating circumstances, which I told them. Even with not meeting their A Level requirements, they told me to go ahead and apply.

I'm currently doing well in my first year - 2:1's / 1st's in every assignment so far. Do you think they'll most likely give me an offer solely on the basis/condition of good grades in my first year?
Anonymous #1

The course is BSc Sociology with Politics.
istudyeconomics
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Another thing they said is to 'apply as soon as possible' (because I was enquiring after the 15th Jan deadline), and that 'the course is not full'.

Another thing is that I'm considered a 'mature student' since I'm 21. Do you think being a mature student will make them more lenient regarding not meeting their A Level requirements? I read everything on their website and this is kinda what it seemed to suggest; they mentioned looking at each application on an 'individual basis'.
Im transfering universities to exeter and bristol.

I',m one grade below exeters entry requirements but they haven't said anything yet except ask for my first year results.
Ive yet to hear back from them. Also im a mature student too (21years old).
They look at each application for transfers based on extenuating circumstances. If you have a strong reason to want to transfer to their uni you have a solid chance.
Last edited by istudyeconomics; 2 weeks ago
istudyeconomics
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The course is BSc Sociology with Politics.
Yeah they definitely could man they can use your good uni results as a replacement for the a level grades.

You have a good chance.
Anonymous #1
Yeah they definitely could man they can use your good uni results as a replacement for the a level grades.

You have a good chance.
I hope so, thanks!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Got the offer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (339)
60.21%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.15%