The Student Room Group

Universal Credit

Anyone watch the BBC show yesterday, it would make taxpayers blood to see the attitude displayed by the applicants on there.

Firstly when in the welfare office whenever the case worker would ask any of the applicants 'do you work'? They would all look back at him/her with a face of incredulity essentially saying 'me work? why should I?'

Then they would all complain the amount given isnt enough well heres a thought sherlock get a job!! The females would enter the office with 3 inches of make up on saying they cant work with the latest iphone in hand.

Then another workless guy at the end said if they dont give me a handout said if they dont pay me I am going to nick stuff but on giro day when he goes to the cash machine to get £hundreds of taxpayers cash he has the obligatory cigarette in mouth so if you aint got money for food where has the money for cigarettes come from?

Another applicant commented the Universal Credit system is so tough I had to go and get a job...hang on a minute isnt that the idea? If not working is going to put you in poverty then get a job and pull yourself out of it.

Given next week episode promises more of the same I can conclude this shows slogan should be 'Britain, a country where only fools work!'

Scroll to see replies

Haven't seen it, but wouldn't be surprised. I know a few people like that. A disgusting attitude which shows major overhawl of the benefit system is needed.
Reply 2
Wasnt universal credit supposed to be the overhawl the benefit system needed? It still allows great swathes of the population to avoid work, smoke and drink their life into obliteration while carrying the latest iphone, cig in hand claiming they not got enough ££ while texting their other mates on welfare!

Honestly the whole welfare system needs abolishing period. People will work when they know free cash isnt heading their way every 2 weeks as it is currently
Original post by monkeybest
Wasnt universal credit supposed to be the overhawl the benefit system needed? It still allows great swathes of the population to avoid work, smoke and drink their life into obliteration while carrying the latest iphone, cig in hand claiming they not got enough ££ while texting their other mates on welfare!

Honestly the whole welfare system needs abolishing period. People will work when they know free cash isnt heading their way every 2 weeks as it is currently

I think it was supposed to bring all of people's benefits into one system, to stream line the premise.
And we can't get rid of the benefit system, some people genuinely need it and as a society we have a social responsibility to care for the weakest in society. And some people have medical problems which stop them from working, wouldn't want them to just starve to death.
Well they wouldn't have much of a show if they showed the people actually looking for work, would they? :rolleyes:

Did it draw any attention to the long established fact that claimant fraud is absolutely DWARFED by internal fraud at the DWP? Or was it more trying to paint some casual labourer as the cause of all plague and brexit because he's not trying hard enough for his £80 a week? Did they talk about what phones they had and shoes they wore? (Just a guess)
Original post by StriderHort
Well they wouldn't have much of a show if they showed the people actually looking for work, would they? :rolleyes:

Did it draw any attention to the long established fact that claimant fraud is absolutely DWARFED by internal fraud at the DWP? Or was it more trying to paint some casual labourer as the cause of all plague and brexit because he's not trying hard enough for his £80 a week? Did they talk about what phones they had and shoes they wore? (Just a guess)

I think it was just showing some people misuse the benefit system.
Anyone watch the BBC show yesterday, it would make taxpayers blood to see the attitude displayed by the applicants on there.

Firstly when in the welfare office whenever the case worker would ask any of the applicants 'do you work'? They would all look back at him/her with a face of incredulity essentially saying 'me work? why should I?'

Then they would all complain the amount given isnt enough well heres a thought sherlock get a job!! The females would enter the office with 3 inches of make up on saying they cant work with the latest iphone in hand.

Then another workless guy at the end said if they dont give me a handout said if they dont pay me I am going to nick stuff but on giro day when he goes to the cash machine to get £hundreds of taxpayers cash he has the obligatory cigarette in mouth so if you aint got money for food where has the money for cigarettes come from?

Another applicant commented the Universal Credit system is so tough I had to go and get a job...hang on a minute isnt that the idea? If not working is going to put you in poverty then get a job and pull yourself out of it.

Given next week episode promises more of the same I can conclude this shows slogan should be 'Britain, a country where only fools work!'

I disagree with your post 100%. these shows highlight 2 or 3 people. 98% of people on benefits are looking for work or are not able to work due to illness. What should have came from last night is how bad this universal credit system is. it's a trap for people, putting them in debt and having to reduce hours at work to get by. rather than having a go at people unable to work or who currently dont have a job have a go at the billionaires that pay no tax. that is worth 10 times the benefits bill. so sick and tired of people in the UK taking the countrys issues out on each other and letting the elite walk away Scot free. open your eyes
Original post by AnonymousNoMore
I think it was just showing some people misuse the benefit system.

As said, I was just taking a wild guess :tongue:

A pal and myself were lined up for a short BBC interview a few years ago on a similar topic, but backed out when it because obvious they REALLY wanted to do it in a pub, I wonder why :rolleyes: I've spoke to others that have had similar exp with them.
As said, I was just taking a wild guess :tongue:

A pal and myself were lined up for a short BBC interview a few years ago on a similar topic, but backed out when it because obvious they REALLY wanted to do it in a pub, I wonder why :rolleyes: I've spoke to others that have had similar exp with them.

They did do it to create a story and create popularity, but they did bring light to a very serious problem.
And they obviously weren't going to shine a light on the 98 percent thst need it, if they did, it would be like the public watchdog spending 98 percent of the TV show praising working people, it wasn't what the show was about.
Reply 9
Original post by Simon0276
I disagree with your post 100%. these shows highlight 2 or 3 people. 98% of people on benefits are looking for work or are not able to work due to illness. What should have came from last night is how bad this universal credit system is. it's a trap for people, putting them in debt and having to reduce hours at work to get by. rather than having a go at people unable to work or who currently dont have a job have a go at the billionaires that pay no tax. that is worth 10 times the benefits bill. so sick and tired of people in the UK taking the countrys issues out on each other and letting the elite walk away Scot free. open your eyes

Likewise I disagree with you 100% when someone says on the show the benefits system forced me to get a job and that was there sole complaint then sorry they got a long overdue kick up the butt!
Benefits should not be used for cigs and alcohol period if you can find a justification for this then good luck. Perhaps a card system where money cant be spent on these things is essential. End of the day when you are using other peoples hard earned cash you shouldnt be using it for non essentials like cigs/booze then moaning about having to go to a food bank after when the money has ran out.
Being too ill to work has been abused far too long, that was proven by the millions found fit to work or who didnt even bother showing up to their assessments when the game was up. Mental health, another vaguery impossible to prove or diagnose so has been has taken advantage of for decades by people saying am too depressed to work or the thought of work makes me ill blah blah
Likewise I disagree with you 100% when someone says on the show the benefits system forced me to get a job and that was there sole complaint then sorry they got a long overdue kick up the butt!
Benefits should not be used for cigs and alcohol period if you can find a justification for this then good luck. Perhaps a card system where money cant be spent on these things is essential. End of the day when you are using other peoples hard earned cash you shouldnt be using it for non essentials like cigs/booze then moaning about having to go to a food bank after when the money has ran out.
Being too ill to work has been abused far too long, that was proven by the millions found fit to work or who didnt even bother showing up to their assessments when the game was up. Mental health, another vaguery impossible to prove or diagnose so has been has taken advantage of for decades by people saying am too depressed to work or the thought of work makes me ill blah blah

That single minded view does not even deserve a answer. you can not categorise everyone by a select few. A card system lol. how much would that cost to implement. what about using a bus or travelling to a funeral?? oh yeah under your plans unemployed people are to just sit in a box. disgusting attitude you have. and cigs and alcohol are highly taxable goods which helps keep the economy moving by creating jobs.
Benefits should not be used for cigs and alcohol period if you can find a justification for this then good luck. Perhaps a card system where money cant be spent on these things is essential.

People come out with this every so often but it's a very slippery slope, are you willing to have control of your spending taken away? Why shouldn't someone on carers allowance have a drink or smoke? why not someone having their part time earnings topped up? Why not someone on PIP?
People come out with this every so often but it's a very slippery slope, are you willing to have control of your spending taken away? Why shouldn't someone on carers allowance have a drink or smoke? why not someone having their part time earnings topped up? Why not someone on PIP?

my point exactly.
Reply 13
That single minded view does not even deserve a answer. you can not categorise everyone by a select few. A card system lol. how much would that cost to implement. what about using a bus or travelling to a funeral?? oh yeah under your plans unemployed people are to just sit in a box. disgusting attitude you have. and cigs and alcohol are highly taxable goods which helps keep the economy moving by creating jobs.

No; unemployed people should get a job simple as that or you think work should be a nuisance you neednt bother with just like they seem to feel? Why do we have European migrants doing jobs our own lazy indigents cant even be bothered to look at?

Cigs taxable is a laughable arguement to justify a wholly unhealthy habit the health burden they create and costs to the NHS far outweigh the revenue generated. Why bother having smoking cessation campaigns?

The US has food stamps to stop taxpayers money being spent on non-essentials like this about time it was brought here also!
No; unemployed people should get a job simple as that or you think work should be a nuisance you neednt bother with just like they seem to feel? Why do we have European migrants doing jobs our own lazy indigents cant even be bothered to look at?

Cigs taxable is a laughable arguement to justify a wholly unhealthy habit the health burden they create and costs to the NHS far outweigh the revenue generated. Why bother having smoking cessation campaigns?

The US has food stamps to stop taxpayers money being spent on non-essentials like this about time it was brought here also!

why dont you move to the US then. the british are a more compassionate nation. I hope one day you or your family dont fall on bad times and need some help
Original post by AnonymousNoMore
Haven't seen it, but wouldn't be surprised. I know a few people like that. A disgusting attitude which shows major overhawl of the benefit system is needed.

Ahhh. Good to see that those in real need should be punished off the back of those few individuals that don't fit your middle class sensibilities.

Perhaps if you had no means of living due to any range of circumstances and were forced to enroll on a system designed by idiots and administrated by underpaid jobsworths, you might feel the need to complain. Maybe if a camera were shoved in your face at your most vulnerable time, you might also provide merry entertainment for the haves and winners in life?
Original post by ByEeek
Ahhh. Good to see that those in real need should be punished off the back of those few individuals that don't fit your middle class sensibilities.

Perhaps if you had no means of living due to any range of circumstances and were forced to enroll on a system designed by idiots and administrated by underpaid jobsworths, you might feel the need to complain. Maybe if a camera were shoved in your face at your most vulnerable time, you might also provide merry entertainment for the haves and winners in life?

When did I say I would punish those worse off? I just said an overhawl is needed, this program shows that there are loopholes that people abuse. I don't see how that's in anyway controversial.
Oh and good job on guessing my socio economic standings when you know nothing about me!
Reply 17
Original post by ByEeek

Well if you had bothered to watch the show you would have seen the 'underpaid jobsworth' in addition to her full time job as front of staff at the jobcentre copping abuse from welfare claimants ranting they werent getting enough free cash she also had a 2nd job stacking shelves in a shop after her first full time job, she even admitted those on benefits were better off than her!! As I said 'Britain, a country where only fools work'

As the show highlighted with examples you can remain on benefits for decades if you want to and plenty choose that route. Time for work being optional to be scrapped period. Even heard on the radio someone on benefits demanding to be exempt from paying a tv license!! What other freebies do they want? Free gas, electric, holidays why not? They get free housing plus spending money why not through those things in also, Boris needs to act fast to stop this country turning into Venezuela and can all see how that ended up!
Reply 18
why dont you move to the US then. the british are a more compassionate nation. I hope one day you or your family dont fall on bad times and need some help

If being a compassionate nation is allowing someone to drink themselves into liver failure or smoke themselves into a life on home oxygen off the backs of taxpayers money I fail to see how that is being compassionate or even logical and when you fall on hard times its amazing how these habits somehow take priority in life, incredible.
see if you spent a quarter of your passionate view on arguing for billionaire psychos to pay tax that they avoid to the tune of billions I could understand your argument at someone getting £70 a week. get real

Quick Reply

Latest