Is it worth getting a sat nav? Watch

Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
On thinking about it, I think it is a good idea to get both. A cheap backup satnav but use your phone primarily.
chazwomaq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Talon)
You would need to download the maps in advance - this would be difficult if you don't have access to the internet when you start your journey.
Normally you download the map(s) when you install the app. For example, I have downloaded the whole and Britain and France. Anywhere in those countries I can navigate offline. You don't download the map or region just before you set off.
Last edited by chazwomaq; 3 weeks ago
Dont know65
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Talon)
On thinking about it, I think it is a good idea to get both. A cheap backup satnav but use your phone primarily.
Yeah coz you can get a Binatone satnav for like £40 maybe even less
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dont know65)
Yeah coz you can get a Binatone satnav for like £40 maybe even less
Doesn't mean it's any good. Why do you need a satnav system?
Dont know65
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
Doesn't mean it's any good. Why do you need a satnav system?
I might need to drive somewhere i dont know the way round
Last edited by Dont know65; 3 weeks ago
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I might need to drive somewhere i dont know the way round
Right.. and do you not have a smart phone?
Dont know65
Rep:
?
Right.. and do you not have a smart phone?
I do but what if it runs out of charge and im using it for a journey im screwed
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I do but what if it runs out of charge and im using it for a journey im screwed
There's these amazing devices called chargers... their sole purpose is to avoid the exact problem you have.....
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't buy a satnav lol they're pretty much obsolete.

Waze and a phone holder is all you need.
I've been with someone relying on these and they got lost - you shouldn't touch them whilst driving and the screens are much smaller than a sat nav.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
I've been with someone relying on these and they got lost - you shouldn't touch them whilst driving and the screens are much smaller than a sat nav.
You shouldn't touch a satnav whilst driving either.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You shouldn't touch a satnav whilst driving either.
A mobile is far more likely to need it - none of the mobile apps have the same detail [yet] as a good sat nav
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A mobile is far more likely to need it - none of the mobile apps have the same detail [yet] as a good sat nav
I regularly drive the length and breadth of the country using only Waze and I've never had an issue.

There's nothing a satnav can do that a smartphone can't.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I regularly drive the length and breadth of the country using only Waze and I've never had an issue.

There's nothing a satnav can do that a smartphone can't.
Screen size and definition far better on a sat nav - just because you are OK doesn't mean it's best for everyone. As I said been a passenger and seen it go badly wrong ...
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Connecting my phone to my car using CarPlay is much better than any Sat Nav I've ever had and it's completely hands free. Of course not all cars will have a screen that will allow this.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Screen size and definition far better on a sat nav - just because you are OK doesn't mean it's best for everyone. As I said been a passenger and seen it go badly wrong ...
I'm really not sure how it went badly wrong. Was the driver deaf or just plain stupid?

The audio prompts are loud enough, but not only that there's very clear bold instructions in large text AND large arrows on the screen.

If they can't see large UI components a foot infront of them, I'd be concerned about their eyesight on the road.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm really not sure how it went badly wrong. Was the driver deaf or just plain stupid?

The audio prompts are loud enough, but not only that there's very clear bold instructions in large text AND large arrows on the screen.

If they can't see large UI components a foot infront of them, I'd be concerned about their eyesight on the road.
Kept losing signal amongst other things - let's agree to disagree - people are entitled to make up their own minds
Dont know65
Rep:
?
There's these amazing devices called chargers... their sole purpose is to avoid the exact problem you have.....
With most phones if the battery is dead it takes a few mins for it to get enough power for it to start so that will delay my journey. With a sat nav it will have charge in because i dont use it a lot.

You seem against sat navs
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Kept losing signal amongst other things - let's agree to disagree - people are entitled to make up their own minds
Each to their own
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You what? Most people have phones the size of small countries these days, but even smaller phones are the same size or slightly larger than ~£100 sat navs. Even my phone which is a few years out of date has a 5.5" IPS display with 1080x1920 resolution. I can almost guarantee that no sat nav will come even close to that kind of resolution.

Personally I'll take the live traffic, free map updates, and free software updates from Google Maps over a TomTom/Garmin. I'm not a complete idiot and can read road signs/read a road atlas and navigate without a sat nav if necessary though.

There are countless news reports of people following real sat navs into rivers and muddy fields. That's a stupid person problem, not a tool problem. Overall IMO a phone running Google Maps is a better tool than a dedicated sat nav - especially when you consider the extra purchase price of a sat nav.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
With most phones if the battery is dead it takes a few mins for it to get enough power for it to start so that will delay my journey. With a sat nav it will have charge in because i dont use it a lot.

You seem against sat navs
I really don't think a couple of minutes (assuming you even let your battery drain that far) is enough of a reason to require a separate device to do an identical job.

It's unnecessary to have a standalone device for this.

I won't get into how poor the satnav market is in terms of planned obsolescence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (496)
59.76%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.18%
No- I want it (235)
28.31%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.75%

Watched Threads