Is it worth getting a sat nav? Watch

DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Key for me ,in Europe especially, is does it tell you which lanes to move into early enough (Like the pink motorway intersection pop ups), how far to petrol/food stops, speed cameras (not infallible ) etc can be useful . I use a Garmin with Western Europe, through Netherlands (high speed maniacs), Germany (controlled high speed maniacs) Denmark and Sweden it has rarely put a foot wrong covering now about 10,000 miles in total- and if it does I can swear at it without the risk of an all out argument. Please note voice command is a pain, it does not seem to readily recognise a Scottish accent therefore programming in places at outset before travelling using postcodes avoids the worst of my expletives.
Muddypaws1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Definately get a sat nav, I just got the one that they use in the driving test, at least your not messing with your phone and can leave it in car
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How often would you be making an unfamiliar journey, or one without someone else who could look at their phone or a map?
Dont know65
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
I really don't think a couple of minutes (assuming you even let your battery drain that far) is enough of a reason to require a separate device to do an identical job.

It's unnecessary to have a standalone device for this.

I won't get into how poor the satnav market is in terms of planned obsolescence.
True but a sat nav is more focused on being a map but a phone is more for other stuff. Google maps isnt that reliable
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dont know65)
True but a sat nav is more focused on being a map but a phone is more for other stuff. Google maps isnt that reliable
That's the point of the application model - it focuses on a specific task..

Google Map is a hell of a lot more reliable and up to date than a satnav.......
Dont know65
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
How often would you be making an unfamiliar journey, or one without someone else who could look at their phone or a map?
Maybe a few times a month
Dont know65
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
That's the point of the application model - it focuses on a specific task..

Google Map is a hell of a lot more reliable and up to date than a satnav.......
Ok
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you need one... I only really drive places I know in all honesty as my car is simply to get me from A to B. I run waze but not for maps, just for alerts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (497)
59.81%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.17%
No- I want it (235)
28.28%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.74%

Watched Threads