Ibuki.Missions
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can someone explain to me how to figure out when to use the formation cycle and when to use the combustion cycle please??
Sidd1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on the question. If you're given formation information you draw a cycle showing formation with arrows going up but if you're given combustion you need to draw a cycle with arrows going down. It's also important to make sure you understand it thoroughly though because I have seen questions where they give you information on both formation and combustion and want you to construct a hess cycle and work something out. Hope this helped
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on the process that's occurring: if it’s a question regarding a combustion process then you’ll draw the Hess cycle for combustion, and vice versa for a formation process

They’ll make this clear enough in the question, but be aware that in both combustion and formation process questions, they’ll virtually always give you formation data; for example, you may be asked to determine the enthalpy of combustion for a particular process by using formation data, so don’t always think that formation data = formation Hess cycle...!
Last edited by Kian Stevens; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (260)
33.85%
No (508)
66.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed