lucyaquinn03
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
hiya, thinking about crashing higher modern studies in my 6th year (final year) of highschool. i have never studied the subject before however i am currently studying both higher sociology and higher history which i have been told will aid my skills and understanding of the course.

basically just here asking for those who have previously crashed/completed higher mods or currently doing it for some advice on course content and how manageable it could be alongside to advanced highers and one other higher... many thanks
spotandpatch
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lucyaquinn03)
hiya, thinking about crashing higher modern studies in my 6th year (final year) of highschool. i have never studied the subject before however i am currently studying both higher sociology and higher history which i have been told will aid my skills and understanding of the course.

basically just here asking for those who have previously crashed/completed higher mods or currently doing it for some advice on course content and how manageable it could be alongside to advanced highers and one other higher... many thanks
I'm crashing modern studies this year and it's going alright. There's a lot of content to cover but if you're good at writing a lot of essays and memorising them in a short space of time you should be fine. The exam questions don't change much each year, so there's a limit to what they can actually ask you.
lucyaquinn03
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by spotandpatch)
I'm crashing modern studies this year and it's going alright. There's a lot of content to cover but if you're good at writing a lot of essays and memorising them in a short space of time you should be fine. The exam questions don't change much each year, so there's a limit to what they can actually ask you.
okay... sounds quite like history in that sense?

how would you describe the workload?
spotandpatch
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
okay... sounds quite like history in that sense?

how would you describe the workload?
learning the info itself is fairly easy because once you've got a basic understanding of it the rest is just common knowledge. The difficult part is churning out essay after essay on each different question you could be asked, memorising them and learning a load of stats to put in them (although you can make them up half the time). I've written about 9 or 10 essays this year and we're almost done with the course, so if that seems manageable to you in the time you've got you'll be fine.
Respect.Global
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

I actually crashed modern studies in fifth year at higher and I was in like 50% of the year and still managed a A band 1. And legit was my only A that year. Best higher to crash, especially if your interested in politics and mainly social issues. Definitely for someone that reads the news everyday.
spotandpatch
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There's also the source questions paper which only needs a little bit of practise and no revision. It's literally either reading sources and drawing conclusions about the information or evaluating the reliability of the sources which is pretty easy. The assignment is essentially just a massive essay which you also have to draw conclusions about and evaluate reliability for, so also doable.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

If you can, I might recommend RMPS over Modern Studies. It's generally much easier and interesting. Mods can be rather formulaic and is mostly about memorising minor details while RMPS is more broad with engaging topics.

I did AH English, History and Spanish as well as several Highers (including Mods and RMPS) and, by far, I found the exam process of Mods to be the most tedious and straining with how much I was required to write in such a short amount of time.

It might just be personal preference but I felt like Mods just had too much writing without much engaging content.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (363)
66.97%
No (179)
33.03%

Watched Threads