DrawTheLine Does Diss: A 3rd Year Survival Blog Watch

DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi friends :hello:

The time has come for my return to Creative Corner. :yes: You may remember I used to have a blog that I said goodbye to in September. I thought I might make a return in the new year, but it's taken a bit longer than that.

I've done a bit of chatting with the wonderful CheeseIsVeg (title credit to her :adore:) and I now feel in a good enough place to dip my toe in this part of the site again. Just about. :erm: I'm at a point in my third and final year of university where my brain is just :bricks: and I keep getting myself into slumps and flaps and just not very good places. :no:

One thing I really liked about my previous blog was hearing others say "I know how you feel" or "I can relate" or "I'm experiencing that too". It's nice to know that all of these thoughts that race through my brain all the time aren't just me being a bit crazy. :nooo:

It felt good to have a place where I could vent everything (well, most things). Even if nobody responded saying they felt the same or whatever, it just felt really good to dump all of my brain pollution out. :banghead: It's really therapeutic and considering how overwhelmed I'm feeling with my final year, it seems like a good time to start this up again. :yep:

So here we are! My brain is very busy, I have a constant train of thought and internal monologue going on, :blah: hence why my blog posts tend to become more like essays (another reason why I don't mind if no-one responds - it's a lot to read!) because I just type and type and type until my brain is empty. :bebored:

I'm not sure how often I'll post, probably when I have a lot on my mind (which is almost always, heh) but if you'd like to be tagged then let me know. If at any point you get a bit bored of my ramblings, just let me know if you'd like to be removed, that's cool. :cute:

Here we go again
ellaswords
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
excited to read this 😊
can you tag me please?
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by ellaswords)
excited to read this 😊
can you tag me please?
will do! good luck
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)

The time has come for my return to Creative Corner. :yes: You may remember I used to have a blog that I said goodbye to in September. I thought I might make a return in the new year, but it's taken a bit longer than that.

I've done a bit of chatting with the wonderful CheeseIsVeg (title credit to her :adore:) and I now feel in a good enough place to dip my toe in this part of the site again. Just about. :erm: I'm at a point in my third and final year of university where my brain is just :bricks: and I keep getting myself into slumps and flaps and just not very good places. :no:

One thing I really liked about my previous blog was hearing others say "I know how you feel" or "I can relate" or "I'm experiencing that too". It's nice to know that all of these thoughts that race through my brain all the time aren't just me being a bit crazy. :nooo:

It felt good to have a place where I could vent everything (well, most things). Even if nobody responded saying they felt the same or whatever, it just felt really good to dump all of my brain pollution out. :banghead: It's really therapeutic and considering how overwhelmed I'm feeling with my final year, it seems like a good time to start this up again. :yep:

So here we are! My brain is very busy, I have a constant train of thought and internal monologue going on, :blah: hence why my blog posts tend to become more like essays (another reason why I don't mind if no-one responds - it's a lot to read!) because I just type and type and type until my brain is empty. :bebored:

I'm not sure how often I'll post, probably when I have a lot on my mind (which is almost always, heh) but if you'd like to be tagged then let me know. If at any point you get a bit bored of my ramblings, just let me know if you'd like to be removed, that's cool. :cute:

Here we go again
Hey :jumphug:
aw I'm so excited you're coming back to blogging! I know that I will be feeling a lot of the same things as it's a big year!
We got this and obviously you have to tag me
:party: :woohoo: :dumbells: :grouphugs:
Rooting for you! :rave:
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Here we go again
Yay :hugs:
Subbing
Last edited by Chronoscope; 1 week ago
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
Hey :jumphug:
aw I'm so excited you're coming back to blogging! I know that I will be feeling a lot of the same things as it's a big year!
We got this and obviously you have to tag me
:party: :woohoo: :dumbells: :grouphugs:
Rooting for you! :rave:
Somehow we will survive :five:
(Original post by Chronoscope)
Yay :hugs:
Subbing
:hugs:
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?

INTRODUCTION :hi:

Seeing as this blog is going to be a bit more focused on my university life compared to just my general daily bits and bobs, I thought I'd do a little summary of my uni journey so far, and also who I am as a human. :itsme:

What do I study? Forensic psychology. I'm loving it! :w00t: Some of you know where I study, but I'd appreciate if this was left off the site. :yes: Stranger danger and all that jazz. :ahhhhh:

What have my grades been like so far? They've been fairly decent, nothing spectacular. :dontknow: I averaged a 65 in both my first and second year, and it's looking that way with my 3rd year now too (based on one assignment, lol). My lowest I've ever got was a 42 (we won't talk about that one) and my highest was, er, 88, I think? :hmmmm: But that doesn't really count because it was a multiple-choice test. For assignments, my highest has been 68. I seem to be good, but not quite good enough to push into that first boundary. :rolleyes: In exams, the highest I got was a 72, I think. Or a 70, idk. But I seem to perform better in exams than assignments for essays. :s-smilie:

What is forensic psychology like? It's fascinating! :eek4: It isn't all serial killers or violent murders etc. like a lot of people think. :naughty: You look at the reasons behind criminal behaviour, rehabilitation of offenders, the prison system, factors causing people to offend, why women offend, why children offend, sexual offending, different ways to deal with offenders with different needs etc. As well as some really juicy stuff like psychopaths, that's really fun. :awesome: Because my degree is combined (forensic psychology with straight psychology) I also do a lot of non-forensic things - cognitive psychology, neuropsychology, developmental psychology, educational psychology, clinical psychology, and the boring stuff like research methods and investigations. :blah: So there's a whole mix, which makes it really interesting. :yep: If it was all focused on prisons and offenders it would be a little taxing. :nothing: Obviously in my 3rd year I'm doing my dissertation, this is related to the death penalty (not too much detail as I've been told it's quite an unusual topic to have chosen, but it's gonna be a chonky one!) :teehee: and this is the thing making me want to rip my teeth out (possibly an exaggeration, come back at the end of the month lmao). :argh:

What do I want to do after uni? Pfft. Am I supposed to have an answer? :confused: When I was doing A-Levels I wanted to go into forensic psychology (obvs) and be a forensic psychologist or somebody working in the prison system, but now I'm SO SICK of studying, deadlines, essays, exams etc. :yucky: So, I don't really know what I want to do after. I figured if I get a good degree then at least I have something. I can always come back to forensic psychology in the future. :yes: I'm not just limited to this field as there are so many skills you learn that can be applied to so many areas. I really love baking, and I'd quite like to have my own bakery one day. :cake: That's more like "the ultimate dream" I think, because I'll need to improve a heckin' lot to get to a good enough standard where people would actually pay money for my cakes. :daydreaming: I've also thought about working with the small humans, being a pre-school teacher or something. We will see. :dontknow: At this moment in time, I'd like a job that gives me money, and where I can work full-time with a good work-life balance, and be able to leave work at work. Not a job where when I come home after a long day I then have to do more work, if that makes sense. :dong:

Fun facts? I collect a few items. Specifically rubber duckies (I currently have 29, and my collection grows every month almost), :gah: mugs (I must have at least 15-20) :tea: and Popsy dresses (if you don't know about this company, you soon will because I talk about it a lot and I am not sorry). :giggle: I'm sure most know this already, but I am in a long-distance relationship with someone who shall be referred to as Mr DTL (again, if you know his name pls keep hush), :ninja: we are getting married this summer, and I'll be hopping across the pond with my duckies in tow to live happily ever after in the US of A. Hmm... I think that's everything interesting about me. I'm very limited lmao.

So, like I said earlier, I ramble a lot so well done if you made it this far. :clap2: I don't go back over my posts and edit anything out or cut it down because then what's the point of this existing when I'm doing it to get everything out of my mind? Happy Thursday! :woohoo:

Spoiler:
Show
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
x
beautiful :love:
I have to ask about the wedding though :mmm:
can I come? Have you started planning it all? :gah:
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
beautiful :love:
I have to ask about the wedding though :mmm:
can I come? Have you started planning it all? :gah:
We've sort of made plans! We aren't having a "proper" wedding as such, we're eloping with 2 of his friends (one is a photographer!) and then having parties afterwards with friends and family. I do have my wedding dress though :awesome:
Chronoscope
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Popsy dresses still confuse me - they're just a type of dress aren't they?
:penguin:Do you have a favourite cake to bake? baking is amazing :yep:
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chronoscope)
Popsy dresses still confuse me - they're just a type of dress aren't they?
:penguin:Do you have a favourite cake to bake? baking is amazing :yep:
:eek: they are soooo much more than just a dress :yep: it's a small family business run by an amazing woman who started the company to increase women's confidence. All the dresses are handmade in the UK using UK materials, so by buying from them I'm supporting a small family instead of a big corporate greedy company. All the dresses have pockets and are of really great quality. There's also a facebook community of all the Popsy customers (well, those who want to be in it) so the brand is also about friendships and supporting other women and building each other up. You can post about your outfits, even if they aren't Popsy, struggles in your life, highlights in your life etc. You can speak directly to the woman who owns it as well as her husband who owns it with her. It's an absolute breath of fresh air of a company with amazing values. It's honest and their dresses are really different to what you see in shops.

I conclude my essay

I really enjoy making chocolate fudge cakes :ahee:
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We've sort of made plans! We aren't having a "proper" wedding as such, we're eloping with 2 of his friends (one is a photographer!) and then having parties afterwards with friends and family. I do have my wedding dress though :awesome:
sounds cute! :cute:
omg what is your dress like? :teeth: :daydreaming:
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
omg what is your dress like? :teeth: :daydreaming:
It's a bohemian a-line style really floaty, floor length and then the top is lacy and with a bit of sparkle, sleeveless. I also got a veil which is sort of like a cape :gah:
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's a bohemian a-line style really floaty, floor length and then the top is lacy and with a bit of sparkle, sleeveless. I also got a veil which is sort of like a cape :gah:
that literally sounds amazing :lovedup: u owe me a picture!
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
agree!
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
that literally sounds amazing :lovedup: u owe me a picture!
I'll send you one
(Original post by Obolinda)
agree!
:ahee:
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?

Happy Friyay! :woo:

So I'm still trying to figure out exactly what kind of stuff I want to write about here. :hmmmm: Like do I want to have it be almost exclusively university stuff, or do I want it to be more of a mix etc. I'm not sure. :dontknow: It'll probably just end up being a mix, seeing as uni life and other life just kind of blend as one. So I hope it isn't too boring if you are subjecting yourself to reading this, because I can confirm I'm not that interesting. :yes: In fact I'd actually call myself boring for a 21 year old. But again, this blog is for me and is here to benefit me more than anyone else, so I'm okay with that. :yy: Oh, important thing to note with this evening, I'm pretty exhausted and a wee bit out of it. :yawn: Not a good sleep last night so my brain is kind of derpy, so apologies in advance if I'm not making total sense. Sometimes I skip out words or sometimes entire sentences, especially if I've said them in my head so I think I've typed them but I actually haven't. Just tell me if I've been a bit of a twonk, no hard feelings. :embarrassed:

Uni:

I only have 6 hours of contact time in my 3rd year :yeah: (3x 2 hour lectures), so this morning was my final one of the week. My course has been pretty nice in terms of contact hours. 1st year was roughly 12, 2nd year was 8ish and this year it's 6. Doesn't make the lectures any less pointless tho. :nah: Like seriously, wtf are some lecturers thinking. :confused: Pack the slides with a crap tonne of info, and then include lots of activities and discussions to make the lecture even more impossible to finish. Almost always ends up with us being told to do the last few slides at home. Surely I could just do the entire thing at home... :colonhash: But I've had it ingrained into me that unless I'm dead I have to attend, so I still do. I've been wearing my new sausage dog print dress today so that helped a bit. :excited:

Anyway, I pretty much had to attend and stay for the whole thing (confession time: if the lecture is particularly horrendous, I sometimes leave during the break half way through) :creep: because I had a meeting after in the same building with my uni's SPSS expert man. He's really cool, really chilled. :cool: I can go in basically saying "I'm too dim to understand this, pls explain using maximum pictures and minimal words, ta" and he'll just lol along and help me understand. Cool dude. :five: So yeah, I had emailed him my output yesterday (along with a rambly explanation of it) :blah: so the meeting didn't last long. He basically said yep I've done it right, explained one of the tests I'd done as I wasn't quite sure why I'd done it, and said there's nowt else I really need to do. So happy days. :bl: I can now write up my results and send them to my supervisor, as they need to be checked (ideally) before they go in my diss for reals. Altho my supervisor is a qual researcher, she doesn't know anything about SPSS and quant really so idk how useful she will be. :erm: She's good for the writing up side of my diss, but for the results she has been just as confused as me. :lolwut: We had a meeting on Wednesday and lmao there were many "my mind is blown" gestures and "hang on, I need to draw this" and "no, it'll be fine" occurring. :lol: But we got there. I have a mix of significant (HALLELUJAH) :woohoo: and non-significant results so I'm really happy. If you're on the team or you know me IRL you'll be able to find out the specific results and potentially even read my diss if you're so interested when it's finished. :yep: No pressure for me tho - the deadline is in 55 days. :shock: Because obviously I needed to know that and I needed that extra stress. Obviously. So that was my uni day. Typical Friday really. :smile:

General lifey stuff:

So I decided to change the format of this slightly from my last blog because I kind of rolled my uni and non-uni stuff into one, but I wanted to keep them a bit separated. I don't want to feel like my uni stuff is taking over all aspects of my life. So this is one way of separating them.

When I wake up, typically most mornings now, I'll straight away start playing my happy songs playlist to make getting out of my cocoon a bit easier (I sleep with a thick duvet, fluffy blanket and another blanket on top so I'm a proper lil burrito). :bigsmile: This is mostly older songs but feel good ones that I can wiggle to whilst getting ready. :bootyshake: I didn't get to do much stuff this morning as my lecture was early, but after I finished at uni I did. It's pay day (wahoo) :dance: so I toddled off to the city centre to do some shoppa-hopping. I'm slowly replacing my t-shirts because they're all really old and a bit dead, but apparently I can't find relatively plain or nicely patterned t-shirts without crap written all over them. :curious: "Vegan" - no thanks, :noway: "tofu" - wut, :lolwut: "i left my heart in london" - i did not, wtf, :wtf: "follow your dreams" - cringe bucket pls. :yawn: etc etc. So once I've (finally) finished writing this brain essay I'll have a look online and order some from shops I don't have within easy access to me. :pcguru:

I made a curry for dinner tonight, yummy scrummy. :eating: Oh wait. I missed out. :doh: Before I went to town, I came home after uni to dump my laptop etc, and I did an adult thing and booked my dentist appt. :crown: It's been a year, so it's time to spend 20 quid for the dentist to look at my teeth for 20 seconds and say all is good. :rolleyes: I'm also getting my eyes tested again (it's been the standard 2 years) and I have a routine GP appt too, so I figured might as well get all 3 over with in the same week. So, yeah food. Er. I should've bought naan bread for it, but one can dream. :moon:

I watched some TV with my flatmate, and then video called Mr DTL as we do every day on his lunch break, and now I am sat here listening to my "ultimate" playlist of songs that I must play at loud volume through my headphones because they just send a vibe through me that honestly just makes me feel so good. :music: Idek how to describe it, but I hope you get what I mean. :crossedf: I surprise a lot of people with my music taste. :yes: My favourite artists are Adele and Buble, but that's not my favourite type of music, not by a long shot. :naughty: I love rock music, particularly classic rock. :rock: The more drums and beats and intensity the better. I also quite enjoy a few songs I probably shouldn't :sogood: (very NSFW in nature and often offensive to women) but I really love them (hence the headphones lmao). :laugh: One of my favourite artists at the moment are Theory of a Deadman. I'm sure if you wanted to listen to one or two of their songs, you'd get the vibe I'm talking about and why, especially if you know me irl, it surprises people. If the song has an explicit warning, it's gonna be good. :mmm:

My brain has been emptied! :woo:

Oh I'm still gonna do a food diary I think. Not a daily one, but just for that day when I decide to empty my brain. I'm still working on healthy eating and just getting into a good lifestyle, so this will help. :yep:

Breakfast: bowl of honey nut flakes (offbrand crunchy nut I think) and a strawberry Activia yoghurt
Lunch: mozzarella, pesto and rocket sammich, Quavers (god I do love a Quaver me), and a double choc chip cookie
Dinner: tikka massala curry (I add sweet potato to it) and a small portion of white rice
Snackies: er. nothing between meals actually, but I had - oh wait no, that's a lie. When I went into Hotel Chocolat today I did have one of their sample chocolates. But after dinner I had an apple and some tinned peach slices
Drinks: 2 cups of tea and probably not enough water

Spoiler:
Show
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
oh heck i didn't realise it was THAT long
maybe i should cut down a bit
entertainmyfaith
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
woo you're back w a blog!! tag me please
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
woo you're back w a blog!! tag me please
I shall!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (204)
67.11%
No (100)
32.89%

Watched Threads