The Student Room Group

Advice on options

I’m choosing my GCSE options next month and I have no idea what to choose. There aren’t many subjects which I’m very passionate about so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or would like to talk about there experience with a subject (good or bad). Are there Any subjects you recommend and don’t recommend taking?? Which are easy and which are hard ?? Which require a lot or work??
Thank you xx
Art and Dt require a lot of work, due to its coursework. History and geography are quite hard, due to the content and exam structure but history has a lot more content. What else is available to you?
Reply 2
I found that art took up loads of time, especially when it wasn't a priority for me. Doing two languages isn't that hard, you just need to make sure that you remember which vocabulary is for which and not mix them up in exams. Geography was quite fun because you get to go on field trips and don't have to write loads of essays. I guess it depends on what you're good at xx
Languages are useful (although at GCSE you only learn the foundations of usefulness!) and make you really employable.
it doesnt actually matter what u pick so just choose one you know you can put up with for 3yrs. what options do you have? we had between history/geog and compsci/art/music/media, i did compsci and enjoyed that, all the people doing art hated it and media kids said its basically just english. art ofc needs a lot of work. from my own experience CS didnt need a lot of work, we finished content early as well as a lot of answers being obvious and not being a lot of topics, though you'd find it harder if its not ur thing so dont go based on workload trust me. what subjects are u passionate about?
Original post by _lao
I’m choosing my GCSE options next month and I have no idea what to choose. There aren’t many subjects which I’m very passionate about so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or would like to talk about there experience with a subject (good or bad). Are there Any subjects you recommend and don’t recommend taking?? Which are easy and which are hard ?? Which require a lot or work??
Thank you xx

history i have found is quite hard getting the technique is difficult to start with but after you get the technique if you are passionate about it then you should be fine as you can get marks for exam technique on some of the questions

dt and textiles are difficult due to the coursework i find it very difficult

languages are complex but relatively easy

what are you interested in? xx
Original post by _lao
Thank you xx

You are probably going to have certain subjects you have to take which will probably include English, Maths, Science and RE and in most schools you usually have 3 or 4 optional choices. Without knowing you as a person and what options your school has it is impossible for anyone to advise you properly. You would be best discussing this with your head of year or careers adviser who will know what options are available to you.
Some choices that you could look into.

If you are looking into anything to do with science look and see whether triple science is an option.
ICT or computing is usually an option in most schools.
If your looking more towards an office job History is an option as is Geography.
Schools usually offer a language or maybe 2. French, German and Spanish are the mot common.
For someone who is more practical you could look into DT.
Does your school offer BTECS as these are sometimes available in building or hairdressing or the like.
Some schools offer Economics, Psychology or other subjects.
Pe is another option usually offered.
As I say nobody on here will know what your school offers so you need to discuss it with someone there. Normally they have options evenings where you can get more information and subjects are sometimes made in blockes where you choose 1 subject from each block.

Quick Reply

Latest