Changing car owner Watch

Ano123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So title is a bit wrong.
Basically my sister is getting a new car and I am gonna have my sisters car that she is still paying for on finance. I was just wondering what needs to be done for me to legally drIve it. Obviously I’m going to insure it in my name but was not going to actually own the car. Do I need to change it so my name is on the v5c? Also are there any issues regarding tax about this? Will I need to tax it myself even though it is already taxed?
I suppose what I’m saying is she’s just letting me have the car, and I just wanna get insured on it but not sure if I need to do anything else
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nah, the insurer doesn't care much who OWNS it, I drive, insure and tax my mum's car with no issues. Check the finance agreement though in case they have any funny insurance conditions, such as 'agreed value' clauses.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ano123)
So title is a bit wrong.
Basically my sister is getting a new car and I am gonna have my sisters car that she is still paying for on finance. I was just wondering what needs to be done for me to legally drIve it. Obviously I’m going to insure it in my name but was not going to actually own the car. Do I need to change it so my name is on the v5c? Also are there any issues regarding tax about this? Will I need to tax it myself even though it is already taxed?
I suppose what I’m saying is she’s just letting me have the car, and I just wanna get insured on it but not sure if I need to do anything else
You'll probably find the finance company expects the main driver of the insurance policy to be the finance holder.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
You'll probably find the finance company expects the main driver of the insurance policy to be the finance holder.
Yeah full comp/agreed value was the condition my mums finance place put on me

(slightly unique case though as i'm also my mum's legal guardian with financial powers, in many ways i effectively am the finance holder.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (497)
59.81%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.17%
No- I want it (235)
28.28%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.74%

Watched Threads