I have no idea if I’m developing an eating disorder but people seem to think I am?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So I’m 15, in year 11 and I’ve struggled with my mental health for around 3 years but never in the realm of eating disorders, although since the new year I’ve noticed behavioural patterns that are worrying me and also my current best friend has expressed concerns about my attitudes towards food and my own body? Since January I have been logging all the food I eat in a diary- it started as a way to try and be more conscious of my unhealthy eating habits and it led to me cutting out sugary foods (which pleased me). But I seem to have obsessive tendencies and as time developed I began cutting down my food intake rapidly? Now we’re at the start of Feb and I try not to eat any more than one small meal a day, no bread, no pasta or carbs, and if my mum cooks rice then I will only eat an actual handful. I’m fine with vegetables and meat and fruit etc but in they must be in extremely small portions. If I feel hungry I tend to drink water and have a few almonds to wash it over, although that habit has also stopped to me just ignoring it. I’ve stated to enjoy the feeling of being hungry? I don’t know. And when my resolve crumbles I’ll eat two meals and snack but it’s followed by intense feelings of guilt and usually a few hours of crying. I’m a frequent self harmer and the severity seems to correlate with how much food I have eaten? I don’t know. I feel as if I don’t fall into the eating disorder category as I’m still a healthy weight for my age, but every time I step on the scales I feel unhappier and unhappier. I’m struggling to cope with this alongside feelings of inadequacy, self harm and general GCSE anxiety. I’m sorry for the rant and if anyone could give me some advice or opinions I would be really grateful :,). thank you
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You should be telling this to your GP.
Anonymous #2
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I’m 15, in year 11 and I’ve struggled with my mental health for around 3 years but never in the realm of eating disorders, although since the new year I’ve noticed behavioural patterns that are worrying me and also my current best friend has expressed concerns about my attitudes towards food and my own body? Since January I have been logging all the food I eat in a diary- it started as a way to try and be more conscious of my unhealthy eating habits and it led to me cutting out sugary foods (which pleased me). But I seem to have obsessive tendencies and as time developed I began cutting down my food intake rapidly? Now we’re at the start of Feb and I try not to eat any more than one small meal a day, no bread, no pasta or carbs, and if my mum cooks rice then I will only eat an actual handful. I’m fine with vegetables and meat and fruit etc but in they must be in extremely small portions. If I feel hungry I tend to drink water and have a few almonds to wash it over, although that habit has also stopped to me just ignoring it. I’ve stated to enjoy the feeling of being hungry? I don’t know. And when my resolve crumbles I’ll eat two meals and snack but it’s followed by intense feelings of guilt and usually a few hours of crying. I’m a frequent self harmer and the severity seems to correlate with how much food I have eaten? I don’t know. I feel as if I don’t fall into the eating disorder category as I’m still a healthy weight for my age, but every time I step on the scales I feel unhappier and unhappier. I’m struggling to cope with this alongside feelings of inadequacy, self harm and general GCSE anxiety. I’m sorry for the rant and if anyone could give me some advice or opinions I would be really grateful :,). thank you
You can still be a perfectly normal weight and have an eating disorder. An eating disorder is less about the physical aspect (although that is a factor) but more about you and your relationship with food. I would suggest talking to your parents or a trusted adult because you need to nip this in the bud before it gets worse.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads