TimotheeLaurie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have got 3 months left till my exam and I’m so stressed out! I really wanna get 8s and 9s but I don’t have enough belief in myself to get those grades. I don’t know what to do...I don’t wanna give up yet. Any advice? I’m losing so much motivation.

duckduck..goose
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
look, im not british so I don't know what the 8 or 9 is, but I can definitely relate to the competition and lack of motivation you can feel from studying for important tests for months on end. It's hard to keep motivated, especially when the final exam is so far away, and you can feel yourself get even more depressed day by day until you fall into a rut and just cant study anymore. What has helped me is setting short term goals to help me study, and then setting up a reward system to reward myself with. I use the Forest App with the Pomodoro method (25 min work 5 min break, then every 2 hours 10 minute break) to keep myself motivated. Seeing all the little trees being grown is really satisfying. If that app isn't available there, then use your phone or laptop to time yourself. Don't study in large chunks, even if you think you can. It's the fastest way to drain your interest. If you're not using your phone as a timer, put it in a completely different room. That way, you won't want to just get up and check Instagram whenever you feel slightly bored. You have to actually get up and walk for a while to get it. Every time you finish a 25 minute session, make a little tally mark. Set up a couple rewards for yourself. For example, if you have 58 tally marks (studied for a bit over 24 hours!) you can watch a movie you like. Use a calendar to set up achievable goals (i.e. studying one chapter from 2/15/20-2/22/20) and stick to them. Listen to study music if that's your thing. I personally like lofi hip hop beats to chill/relax to livestream because its a livestream so it constantly has music on it. As the exam date gets closer, be sure to drink lots of water, eat, and shower, no matter how stressed you get. You may think that wastes precious study time, but it will actually give you some time to think about the material you're studying and allow you time for it to sink into your brain. Besides, people cannot work well without breaks.

As for motivation, that has to be up to you. Why is it important for YOU to get an 8 or a 9? Sure, you could just say some bs like 'it will make me happy', but don't say that unless you really mean it. Why is studying that subject important to you? It doesn't even matter if it's a subject that you hate. The reason could be because you want to see your hard work pay off in a tangible, gradable way. You want to see how you can spend your time and effort into something that strengthens your mind. You want to know and understand one more thing about this world that was a mystery to you before, and you're a better person for it now. Or you could pull an Elle Woods, and do it to spite all the people who never believed in you. No matter what, it is your choice and yours alone. Choose a reason and stick with it. You'll do great, I know it : )
Mad_Dog_Graveson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TimotheeLaurie)
I have got 3 months left till my exam and I’m so stressed out! I really wanna get 8s and 9s but I don’t have enough belief in myself to get those grades. I don’t know what to do...I don’t wanna give up yet. Any advice? I’m losing so much motivation.
Pull yourself together. Be the underdog. Never give up.
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TimotheeLaurie)
Just do your best.The world will not actually end if you do not get all 8s and 9s whatever your school and teachers say. Do what you want to do for yourself and do not make yourself ill over this. So not worth it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
23.76%
No, but I have thought about it (56)
27.72%
No (98)
48.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise