Hedwigeeeee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
why when we calculate the standard enthalpy of neutralisation, we should use -Q/n, which n is the amount of acid , why not base?
Mad_Dog_Graveson
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Mix Francium with Hydrochloric Acid
Hedwigeeeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mad_Dog_Graveson)
Mix Francium with Hydrochloric Acid
Is that means as acid is neutralised by base, so we should divide the enthalpy change by the amount of acid to obtain standard enthalpy change of neutralization? why n is not amount of acid plus amount of base, but acid only? sorry i did not get your point...
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Wuxinyu)
why when we calculate the standard enthalpy of neutralisation, we should use -Q/n, which n is the amount of acid , why not base?
n is the amount of water produced, not the amount the acid OR the amount of base.
Kian Stevens
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Consider that in any acid-base neutralisation, H+ + OH- \rightarrow H2O

Thus, depending on what the limiting reagent is, the moles of acid or base will be equivalent to the moles of water produced; thus, n is the moles of water produced as Pigster said, and this is because the enthalpy of neutralisation is defined in terms of the water produced
Hedwigeeeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
Consider that in any acid-base neutralisation, H+ + OH- \rightarrow H2O

Thus, depending on what the limiting reagent is, the moles of acid or base will be equivalent to the moles of water produced; thus, n is the moles of water produced as Pigster said, and this is because the enthalpy of neutralisation is defined in terms of the water produced
but when the amount of acid and base are not equal, they are not equivalent to the amount of water produced, the question in the attachment does not have the same volume of HCL and NaOH. they used the amount of base, which made me confused.
Attached files
Kian Stevens
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
but when the amount of acid and base are not equal, they are not equivalent to the amount of water produced, the question in the attachment does not have the same volume of HCL and NaOH. they used the amount of base, which made me confused.
Question 1b even states that you have to calculate the enthalpy change per mole of water produced, so this gives you a hint anyway as this is what the enthalpy change of neutralisation is essentially measured in; don't forget that the enthalpy change of neutralisation is defined as the enthalpy change of an acid-base reaction which produces one mole of water

So, like I said, this is dictated by what the limiting reagent is; you don't always use the moles of acid, as the limiting reagent could be base, and based on the neutralisation ionic equation I stated earlier the moles of limiting reagent used will equal the moles of water produced... This is what you use as n
Last edited by Kian Stevens; 11 months ago
Hedwigeeeee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
Question 1b even states that you have to calculate the enthalpy change per mole of water produced, so this gives you a hint anyway as this is what the enthalpy change of neutralisation is essentially measured in; don't forget that the enthalpy change of neutralisation is defined as the enthalpy change of an acid-base reaction which produces one mole of water

So, like I said, this is dictated by what the limiting reagent is; you don't always use the moles of acid, as the limiting reagent could be base, and based on the neutralisation ionic equation I stated earlier the moles of limiting reagent used will equal the moles of water produced... This is what you use as n
sorry, could you explain what is limiting reagent?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (36)
17.06%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.38%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.32%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed