zaink34
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My Gcse grades are 3A 2B and 3C not that impressive but i wanted to ask that will my gcse grades give a disadvantage when applying to rusell uni like KCL, UCL, Coventry, Manchester and Edinburgh even if i achieve good A level grades
Note: The courses i want to study are Computer science B.Sc/Beng Electrical engineering
shomoysha
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve got mates who don’t have stellar gcses, who’ve received offers for computer science at Newcastle, which is a Russel group
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zaink34)
My Gcse grades are 3A 2B and 3C not that impressive but i wanted to ask that will my gcse grades give a disadvantage when applying to rusell uni like KCL, UCL, Coventry, Manchester and Edinburgh even if i achieve good A level grades

Note: The courses i want to study are Computer science B.Sc/Beng Electrical engineering
You should be fine for most RG universities but Oxford and Imperial might prove difficult. Why Coventry along with the others. They key issue though is likely to be your GCSE Maths grade as some universities might require grade B or possibly A for that. Check each university's entrance requirements for your subject. Have you considered the likes of Warwick, Birmingham, Leeds, Lancaster, Bath or Exeter along with these.
zaink34
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
You should be fine for most RG universities but Oxford and Imperial might prove difficult. Why Coventry along with the others. They key issue though is likely to be your GCSE Maths grade as some universities might require grade B or possibly A for that. Check each university's entrance requirements for your subject. Have you considered the likes of Warwick, Birmingham, Leeds, Lancaster, Bath or Exeter along with these.
Not really i'm here on the TSR asking some adivce right now but surely will apply soon
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you applying for entry September 2020 or 2021. IF 2020 you need to act quickly and should by now have your predicted grades so you would look at universities around those grades. As you have missed the equal consideration deadline some universities wont be accepting application and ideally you would be attending visit days in the next month or so. You would need to check whether universities still have places. If applying for September 2021 you would have more time and able to go to open days before applying. If your application is for this year I suspect places like UCL and Edinburgh might not be accepting applications.

Your choices of university seem to be a bit hap hazard and you need to decide which course you want to study as they are very different. Ask yourself do you want to be in a bigger or smaller city and where is the UK you would like to study. Based on your choices I assume you are looking at bigger cities rather than campus universities that are out of the city. If that is the case perhaps you can stick to UCL, Kings and Manchester and consider Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham and Bristol. If you want smaller cities or out of town campuses Lancaster, Durham, Loughborough, Bath, Warwick, Southampton and Exeter. might be worth you considering.

Most of these universities will accept you with your GCSE's but check out each individual university's entrance requirements to make sure. The conditions that most universities will have for your type of course will be English Language at grade C and Maths usually grade B although some may require grade A or C.

I assume as you are using the letter system you might come from Wales. Be aware that Durham, Warwick and some London universities dont accept the Welsh Bac as one of your 3 subjects although most others do.
asjad_naqvi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you applying for entry September 2020 or 2021. IF 2020 you need to act quickly and should by now have your predicted grades so you would look at universities around those grades. As you have missed the equal consideration deadline some universities wont be accepting application and ideally you would be attending visit days in the next month or so. You would need to check whether universities still have places. If applying for September 2021 you would have more time and able to go to open days before applying. If your application is for this year I suspect places like UCL and Edinburgh might not be accepting applications.

Your choices of university seem to be a bit hap hazard and you need to decide which course you want to study as they are very different. Ask yourself do you want to be in a bigger or smaller city and where is the UK you would like to study. Based on your choices I assume you are looking at bigger cities rather than campus universities that are out of the city. If that is the case perhaps you can stick to UCL, Kings and Manchester and consider Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham and Bristol. If you want smaller cities or out of town campuses Lancaster, Durham, Loughborough, Bath, Warwick, Southampton and Exeter. might be worth you considering.

Most of these universities will accept you with your GCSE's but check out each individual university's entrance requirements to make sure. The conditions that most universities will have for your type of course will be English Language at grade C and Maths usually grade B although some may require grade A or C.

I assume as you are using the letter system you might come from Wales. Be aware that Durham, Warwick and some London universities dont accept the Welsh Bac as one of your 3 subjects although most others do.
Not him, but 2020 cycle deadline was 15th jan so I assume its for 2021
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
15th Jan isnt actually a deadline. People can and do apply after that. This so called deadline is only the date after which universities dont have to consider applications but most except the very top do and give offers. From OP comments I suspect he MAY be applying late and for September 2020 entry which is why I have covered both.

Not really i'm here on the TSR asking some adivce right now but surely will apply soon
Last edited by swanseajack1; 1 year ago
zaink34
Rep:
?
15th Jan isnt actually a deadline. People can and do apply after that. This so called deadline is only the date after which universities dont have to consider applications but most except the very top do and give offers. From OP comments I suspect he MAY be applying late and for September 2020 entry which is why I have covered both.

Can people apply in August after the result day in UCAS clearing
asjad_naqvi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Check UCAS, I think you don’t need to have applied to atleast one uni. But confirm on ucas website
Last edited by asjad_naqvi; 1 year ago
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, so long as you have a UCAS account you can apply in Clearing, you don't need to have applied anywhere during the main cycle.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There isnt any point waiting until then. There will be fewer places available and you wont have had a chance to look at universities. It is unlikely UCL or Edinburgh will be in clearing. They arent usually. Apply earlier and you can use clearing or adjustment as a back up if all doesnt go well.
zaink34
Rep:
?
There isnt any point waiting until then. There will be fewer places available and you wont have had a chance to look at universities. It is unlikely UCL or Edinburgh will be in clearing. They arent usually. Apply earlier and you can use clearing or adjustment as a back up if all doesnt go well.
Any advice on how to write a good personal statement
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personal statements are not that important. They key issue will be your grades. Try the personal statement builder at search the student room at the top of this page. Deciding on a subject is most important and stating why you want to study it
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you don't know which unis are actually in the Russell Group, it's fair to assume that not all employers do either.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Here are what I think are the two main things you have to answer in your personal statement
- why you want to study the subject (probably the most important)
- how you express your interest in the subject outside of school

When it comes to actually writing that down though, it's difficult. It's writers' block times a million. So when you write your first draft, don't aim to be precious about it. Just type anything you can think of without any care for quality. Only then once you've got something down can you begin to refine what you've got, to pick out the good points and get rid of the stuff that doesn't work.
intlrelations
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hi i got offers from 3 uni out of 4 (Manchester, Warwick, Lancaster) and i'm doing ib. and for all three universities, my predicted was 2-3 points lower than the requirement (especially hl subjects). so i assume ps was smth?

and here r my tips:
1. don't list out what you have done - this was the first mistake i have made and ppl asked me to re-write it.
2. always connect back to the reason you are applying to the course - even though i said not to list out but you do have to mention few of them. but always connect back to the reason. for ex, how your a level subjects/gcse intrigued you in particular area
3. get ppl to read yours: tbh i didn't and couldn't ask many people to proofread mine (only 3,4 people and didn't ask any of my friends) but it is going to be useful to get lots of feedback. cuz certainly, they are gonna overlap. tht's the part you need to fix.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.63%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.86%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
18.07%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.06%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (66)
26.51%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.88%

Watched Threads