Gina love
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Urgent help
How do I easily or should I say effectively memorize Anatomy and how to tackle orals by the way at my Uni it's compulsory to do orals every single day I'm doing okay but I want to improve Please I need help. I have an oral tommorow about the lower limbs please help
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gina love)
Urgent help
How do I easily or should I say effectively memorize Anatomy and how to tackle orals by the way at my Uni it's compulsory to do orals every single day I'm doing okay but I want to improve Please I need help. I have an oral tommorow about the lower limbs please help
Are you studying in the UK?

With anatomy I have found there is unfortunately no quick route to learning it - it needs spaced repetition over a reasonable period of time. Flashcards and mnemonics can be helpful as well as group learning. I used Anatomy at a Glance for musculoskeletal anatomy as I liked the diagrams and the muscle index.

Trying to learn in a clinical context also makes it more memorable e.g. thinking about the anatomy behind brachial plexus pathology, foot drop, etc.

We didn't do vivas in anatomy but I think it's important to have a strategy for answering questions confidently and to prevent your mind going blank. What sort of questions do they ask? Is it variations of "describe the anatomy of X joint", "tell us about the blood supply of X" etc? I think it would be useful to have a mental checklist prepared in advance so you can answer the question without having a mind blank or forgetting things. Practising with a revision partner would be quite helpful here.

Examiners dislike fence sitting, umming, and having to prompt you so part of viva prep is learning to sound confident (even if you're not) so that could be something else to work on with a revision partner
Gina love
Rep:
?
Thank you so much
I study in Ukraine actually
and yes I do group studying and I borrow some bones to help when I can
I will check out the book you recommended is there any other material you could recommend
(Original post by Democracy)
Are you studying in the UK?

With anatomy I have found there is unfortunately no quick route to learning it - it needs spaced repetition over a reasonable period of time. Flashcards and mnemonics can be helpful as well as group learning. I used Anatomy at a Glance for musculoskeletal anatomy as I liked the diagrams and the muscle index.

Trying to learn in a clinical context also makes it more memorable e.g. thinking about the anatomy behind brachial plexus pathology, foot drop, etc.

We didn't do vivas in anatomy but I think it's important to have a strategy for answering questions confidently and to prevent your mind going blank. What sort of questions do they ask? Is it variations of "describe the anatomy of X joint", "tell us about the blood supply of X" etc? I think it would be useful to have a mental checklist prepared in advance so you can answer the question without having a mind blank or forgetting things. Practising with a revision partner would be quite helpful here.

Examiners dislike fence sitting, umming, and having to prompt you so part of viva prep is learning to sound confident (even if you're not) so that could be something else to work on with a revision partner
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gina love)
Thank you so much
I study in Ukraine actually
and yes I do group studying and I borrow some bones to help when I can
I will check out the book you recommended is there any other material you could recommend
Clinical Anatomy by Harold Ellis was my other reference text for anatomy.

There's also a lot of useful stuff online - Geeky Medics, Khan Academy, anatomy explanations on Youtube, etc.
Gina love
Rep:
?
thank you so much
krang88
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe try anatomy zone on youtube. I found it incredibly helpful.
Gina love
Rep:
?
thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads