?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi.
The question is:
The molecule shown below is reacted with hydrogen bromide:

Name:  IMG_4962.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  56.9 KB
Which of the following are the products of this reaction?

A-4-bromo-3,4-dimethylpentane and 3-bromo-3,4-dimethylpentane
B-3-bromo-2,3-dimethylpentane and 2-bromo-2,3-dimethylpentane
C-3-bromo-2-dimethylpentane and 2-bromo-2-dimethylpentane
D-2-bromo-3,4-dimethylpentane and 3-bromo-2,3-dimethylpentane

The correct answer is B.

I don’t understand which one of the carbon atoms within the double bond will receive the H or the Br. I know that the Markovnikov's Rule says that the Hydrogen is attached to the carbon atom with the most amount of hydrogens on it; but don’t they both have the same amount of hydrogens on the carbon atoms here??

Please could someone tell me which carbon receives what????
Attached files
Last edited by izaakha; 1 month ago
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's no image to go with the question, and the attachment doesn't work
izaakha
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
There's no image to go with the question, and the attachment doesn't work
Hi, sorry about that, I was trying to upload the image from college - I have uploaded it again, I think you will be able to see it now.
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
From a general view:
This question is mostly whether you can properly name molecules or not; A, C and D are all instantly recognisable as being incorrect combinations, and so this leaves B as the only correct pair

From a mechanistic view:
Markovnikov's rule essentially states that the electrophile (H+ in this case) will attack the alkene carbon with the least hydrogen atoms, in an attempt to form the most stable carbocation

However, both alkene carbons have no hydrogen atoms attached... This therefore means that both potential carbocations will be tertiary, and also of roughly equal stability (ignoring inductive effects), meaning that the electrophile will attack both alkene carbons

Because of this, it can be assumed that the two products in answer B will be produced in roughly equal proportion
Last edited by Kian Stevens; 1 month ago
izaakha
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
From a general view:
This question is mostly whether you can properly name molecules or not; A, C and D are all instantly recognisable as being incorrect combinations, and so this leaves B as the only correct pair

From a mechanistic view:
Markovnikov's rule essentially states that the electrophile (H+ in this case) will attack the alkene carbon with the least hydrogen atoms, in an attempt to form the most stable carbocation

However, both alkene carbons have no hydrogen atoms attached... This therefore means that both potential carbocations will be tertiary, and also of roughly equal stability (ignoring inductive effects), meaning that the electrophile will attack both alkene carbons

Because of this, it can be assumed that the two products in answer B will be produced in roughly equal proportion
Thank you, I understand now - basically, I had to rule out the other options.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (216)
52.3%
No, they should still go ahead (58)
14.04%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (139)
33.66%

Watched Threads