Ragman75
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago

its past the point of no return we are all getting corona boys, China has ****ed us
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ragman75)

its past the point of no return we are all getting corona boys, China has ****ed us
You need to speak to angery penguin who is China health spokesperson.
China is healthy according to them and who are we to doubt them?

Interesting vid thought it was going to be more loon that it was . Learnt a few new things. Interesting times.
Someone has caught it off a non Chinese person, which is significant. The biggest thing about the virus is that they still dont know its nature at the moment and are guessing or waiting. Hopefully it stops spreading soon before it becomes self sustaining.
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Reports imply that 1/3 have died and 2/3 have recovered out of the hospital cases which account for around >30% of all cases so it seems the mortality rate could be closer to 10% (the 2% is only comparing number of cases with deaths, not people who have actually recovered with deaths). With luck many of those with minor symptoms haven’t been documented so the mortality rate could be lower.

Mutation is a big worry. It will likely mutate to become more infectious and possibly more deadly, but likewise if we’re lucky it could mutate to be less deadly (though it will likely become more infectious anyhow).

3 cases in the U.K. so far, unfortunately the 3rd one seems to be someone who travelled in a while ago so have had the opportunity to spread it. 😐
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Before you believe any internet claims about the virus, check Snopes
z-hog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In the broad scheme of things, this is a sharp-eish reminder of the balance of power in the living world and how microscopic life runs the show away from sight. Everything living has stemmed from that small world and been shaped by it, we are no more than meals-on-wheels to bacteria with an added feature: we have developed a way of taking it out of this planet if needed. We are merely tolerated by it, that's the relationship.

There will be bacteria on earth way after we've all fallen to the climate emergency, the only thing that will kill it for good will be the Sun's death. If only they could find a way of evading that by migrating out of range before that happens...
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't knock bacteria, it's the only culture some people have got!
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A century ago, an estimated 50 million people were killed by the Spanish flu virus and more than half of American casualties in WWI succumbed to influenza. It's still not understood how the former managed to explode simultaneously around the world, it must have been incubated and carried around by unsuspecting victims but it's still a mystery how it could have gone under the radar long enough for that to happen. People didn't even move around the way they do now, the modern world is a dream environment for them. Only good thing is that they can't exist for long without a host.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is there anything they won't eat in China?
karelina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
A century ago, an estimated 50 million people were killed by the Spanish flu virus and more than half of American casualties in WWI succumbed to influenza. It's still not understood how the former managed to explode simultaneously around the world, it must have been incubated and carried around by unsuspecting victims but it's still a mystery how it could have gone under the radar long enough for that to happen. People didn't even move around the way they do now, the modern world is a dream environment for them. Only good thing is that they can't exist for long without a host.
I heard part of the reason was malnurishment after the war made them more vulnerable to the virus.
Ragman75
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
wow a week later 75k cases, christ and these are just the numbers people know off
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
How would you feel if you had to take time off work to look after your kids because Hugo & Fanella went skiing in Italy over half term and the school decided they might be infected?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Of course people moved round the world. There were Indian soldiers and Chinese labourers on the Western Front, and American soldiers in Russia. Sailors of the Brazilian Navy caught the flu in Sierra Leone.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Still struggling to see why people think a palty few thousand cases is overly significant. This is the size of one extremely small Chinese town.
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Napp)
Still struggling to see why people think a palty few thousand cases is overly significant. This is the size of one extremely small Chinese town.
This virus has been spreading for 46 days now, and in that time period it has infected at least 80,000 people and has killed almost 3000 people. For comparison, 2009 Swine Flu infected around 20,000 during it's first 46 days, and had killed just over 100 people. I'd say it's pretty significant.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Wōden)
This virus has been spreading for 46 days now, and in that time period it has infected at least 80,000 people and has killed almost 3000 people. For comparison, 2009 Swine Flu infected around 20,000 during it's first 46 days, and had killed just over 100 people. I'd say it's pretty significant.
Shall we compare this to more or less every other significant virus which have death tolls in the tens of thousands every year (in single countries that is) where no one bats an eyelid?
No. As far as viruses go this one is still rather inoffensive, if somewhat contagious.
I note how you compared it to Swine Flu as opposed to anything unpleasant like SARS, MERS etc. though...
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Scaremongering.
The chances of getting it are minimal
And even if you get the virus if you are in good health you are highly likely to make a full recovery.
From what I have seen most that have died from the virus had pre-existing conditions or were elderly.
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
We live in the snowflake generation so I expect the same reaction as if snow starts falling in fact some regional supermarkets are already reporting it.
Name:  Screenshot_20200227_045431.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  123.3 KB

I think it's the Wail Online effect
Last edited by NJA; 1 day ago
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I've just seen a guy on Good morning Britain.(Skype)
He just came back from Italy in the restricted zone and had flu like symptoms. He phoned NHS 111 and was told to go to his nearest A&E. The exact thing he shouldn't do. When he got there he told the person on the desk exactly what you've just read above and she told him to take a seat, which he did amongst all the others in a packed A&E.
After about 10 minutes a panicked nurse came and showed him into a side room, took his temperature the told him to go home and they will contact him.
On his way home he received a call to come back and park outside the A&E where a nurse will come out to him. He did this and a nurse came out in full suit and mask. He went to get out his car and was told to get back in.
She did the tests she needed to through the car window and he was sent home to self isolate and wait for the results (48hrs)
If this is the standard we are reaching in dealing with this we are fooked.
I suppose the clue was when a government minister said call 111 and "they will have an algorithm to tell you what to do"
You're through to a spotty Herbert on minimum wage with a tick box and not a medically qualified person.
We're all doomed I tell ye.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Of course people moved round the world. There were Indian soldiers and Chinese labourers on the Western Front, and American soldiers in Russia. Sailors of the Brazilian Navy caught the flu in Sierra Leone.
Stop being silly.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Stop being silly.
There is a myth that people didn't leave their villages. WWI resulted in millions of people moving round the world and that is how it spread.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (484)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.28%
No- I want it (233)
28.62%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.63%

Watched Threads