Kit_the_fisto101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can someone tell me what A Level RE and philosophy is like please. Do they teach the same thing
hallaluliah
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
look at the specification website for the exam board, for aqa its kinda the same as gcse but more in depth: utilitarianism, abortion but with philosophy, thology, a different religious context as well
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have moved your thread to a more relevant forum!
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kit_the_fisto101)
Can someone tell me what A Level RE and philosophy is like please. Do they teach the same thing
Both involve studying arguments for and against God's existence. The main difference is that in RE you learn about a religion, whereas in Philosophy you learn about some philosophical topics that don't have much to do with religion. So the choice comes down to whether you want to study a religion or not.
wes3214
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joe312)
Both involve studying arguments for and against God's existence. The main difference is that in RE you learn about a religion, whereas in Philosophy you learn about some philosophical topics that don't have much to do with religion. So the choice comes down to whether you want to study a religion or not.
Yeah, I would refer to this, but also there is a section where Christianity is studied (I know for some exam boards, but not sure for all). Like said before, go online and check specs for different exam boards, as that is the best way to understand it for yourself.
Gwil
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For most exam boards, A-Level RS and Philosophy share between half and two thirds of their content: they both normally include Ethics and Philosophy of Religion / the Metaphysics of God. In RS, the other third will normally be the study of the teachings of a specific religion, while in Philosophy it would be the Philosophy of Knowledge or some other branch less closely related to religion.
Kit_the_fisto101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So in philosophy you’ll learn about things like abortion and afterlife where as RE you would learn about God and different religions
Gwil
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kit_the_fisto101)
So in philosophy you’ll learn about things like abortion and afterlife where as RE you would learn about God and different religions
You'd study abortion, the afterlife, and God in both The difference is that in RE you would examine them from a religious point of view as well as a philosophical one.
Joe312
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gwil)
You'd study abortion, the afterlife, and God in both The difference is that in RE you would examine them from a religious point of view as well as a philosophical one.
No you don't study abortion or the afterlife in Philosophy A level.
Gwil
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No you don't study abortion or the afterlife in Philosophy A level.
I guess it must vary from exam board to exam board, but abortion may be studied as an example under Moral Philosophy, and the afterlife under Metaphysics of Mind. But they definitely aren't given the kind of focus they get in A-Level RE.
Joe312
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gwil)
I guess it must vary from exam board to exam board, but abortion may be studied as an example under Moral Philosophy, and the afterlife under Metaphysics of Mind. But they definitely aren't given the kind of focus they get in A-Level RE.
There is only one exam board for Philosophy A level: AQA. Abortion isn't part of the specification for moral philosophy so you could never get a question on it in the exam. Metaphysics of Mind includes debates on whether there is a soul but only as part of the debate between dualism and physicalism but nothing about religious views on the afterlife.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (158)
15.86%
Uncertainty around my education (162)
16.27%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
9.44%
Isolating with family (68)
6.83%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (37)
3.71%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (87)
8.73%
Loneliness (99)
9.94%
Financial worries (43)
4.32%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (90)
9.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (69)
6.93%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (89)
8.94%

Watched Threads