spier
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello all,

Has anyone applied to these open days/first year schemes? Anyone heard back?
I'm a 2nd year non-law so did a few schemes last year.

I've applied to:

Shearman & Sterling Headstart
DLA Piper Insight Programme
Latham & Watkins Open Day
Sidley Austin Open Day
Vinson & Elkins Open Day
Davis Polk & Wardwell Open Day
Kirkland & Ellis Open Day
bringtring
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've applied for the Kirkland& Ellis Open Day. I haven't hear back yet.

Apparently lots of firms don't get back to you until a week or so before hand.
bellebags
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Has anybody heard back from CMS about the first steps scheme?
sh3rl0cke
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got the Vinson & Elkins open day All it required was to email my name, a levels, and university & degree.
HarvestingSeason
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've applied to:

A&O
Baker McKenzie (Currently at video interview stage)
CC (SPARK Rejection)
CMS (Did the test, pending further stages)
DLA Piper (Got the Insight Scheme)
Dentons
HSF (Passed the test, pending further stages)
Kirkland
Latham (Got the Open Day)
Linklaters
Mayer Brown
NRF
Simmons & Simmons
Slaughters
Vinson & Elkins (Got the Open Day)

The DLA thing was nice to hear about, but it's a huge conundrum, since I'm going to go back to my home country for a few weeks and it's right inbetween, which means I have to get plane tickets to go London for 4 days and then back again. I sincerely doubt they'd cover those expenses.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HarvestingSeason)
The DLA thing was nice to hear about, but it's a huge conundrum, since I'm going to go back to my home country for a few weeks and it's right inbetween, which means I have to get plane tickets to go London for 4 days and then back again. I sincerely doubt they'd cover those expenses.
No need to go lol

Saying that you're out of the country during that period is a reason that HR have head 1000 times before
HarvestingSeason
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by J Papi)
No need to go lol

Saying that you're out of the country during that period is a reason that HR have head 1000 times before
Are those schemes so useless that they don't warrant going?
I've had the fear that this is the case for a while.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are those schemes so useless that they don't warrant going?
I've had the fear that this is the case for a while.
The ones that are a day or two are glorified open days with maybe an afternoon of work shadowing. No point in flying in for an open day at DLA Piper (of all firms)

The ones that are a full week long (e.g. HL, CC, BCLP, W&C, etc.) are worth going to
HarvestingSeason
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The ones that are a day or two are glorified open days with maybe an afternoon of work shadowing. No point in flying in for an open day at DLA Piper (of all firms)

The ones that are a full week long (e.g. HL, CC, BCLP, W&C, etc.) are worth going to
Understood. But it's still better CV fodder than an open day (it's a three-day scheme, which is a bit better than a one or two-day thing). If we were talking about an open day at DLA, then it's a foregone conclusion that going to London for it would be pointless. I feel like turning it down would be shooting myself in the foot to an extent.

Also, I thought HL only had a two-day thing? I've found sources claiming they have a one-week first-year scheme but haven't found the actual scheme itself anywhere.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Understood. But it's still better CV fodder than an open day (it's a three-day scheme, which is a bit better than a one or two-day thing). If we were talking about an open day at DLA, then it's a foregone conclusion that going to London for it would be pointless. I feel like turning it down would be shooting myself in the foot to an extent.

Also, I thought HL only had a two-day thing? I've found sources claiming they have a one-week first-year scheme but haven't found the actual scheme itself anywhere.
Ooo, tricky. Well, you can turn down your place - now that you have been offered it - at any time between now and the open day. So I would wait and see how the rest of your applications pan out.

My info is out of date. HL did a week-long thing (from which I got rejected...) when I was applying
bellebags
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've applied to:

A&O
CC (SPARK Rejection)
Dentons
Kirkland
Linklaters
Mayer Brown
NRF
Simmons & Simmons
Slaughters

Was your application to Dentons for an open day? I couldn't find any first-year schemes that they had in place?
Wright0110
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just got video invitation for CMS.
A no from DLA though
sh3rl0cke
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just got DLA Piper scheme too. Sad to read above that people don’t think they’re worth it.

I can confirm that previous experience of first year schemes, is that they certainly are worth it. I got fast tracked to final round interviews for VS following one last year ...
sh3rl0cke
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've applied to:

A&O
CC (SPARK Rejection)
Dentons
Kirkland
Linklaters
Mayer Brown
NRF
Simmons & Simmons
Slaughters

Which Latham open day did you apply for?
alilslow
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
just got an offer for the HSF first year workshop! but im not sure if i should choose the 6-7 one (bc im holding out for A&O which is like my top choice firm but it's also notoriously hard to get) or the 20-21 one (bc that clashes with baker mckenzie and im at the video interview stage for that...) any advice?
HarvestingSeason
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sh3rl0cke)
Which Latham open day did you apply for?
Feb 26th.

(Original post by bellebags)
Was your application to Dentons for an open day? I couldn't find any first-year schemes that they had in place?
'Twas.

Ooo, tricky. Well, you can turn down your place - now that you have been offered it - at any time between now and the open day. So I would wait and see how the rest of your applications pan out.

My info is out of date. HL did a week-long thing (from which I got rejected...) when I was applying
I've settled on doing just that. I'll just wait until I have a workable schedule.
Presuming that there are no major bars to actually flying over, I'm just going to do it. I need something decent-looking on my CV.
bellebags
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alilslow)
just got an offer for the HSF first year workshop! but im not sure if i should choose the 6-7 one (bc im holding out for A&O which is like my top choice firm but it's also notoriously hard to get) or the 20-21 one (bc that clashes with baker mckenzie and im at the video interview stage for that...) any advice?
do you know how to access the online portal for A&O? The link i was using on my laptop doesn't allow me on to it anymore as the deadline date has passed and can't seem to find another way to access it!
Lxxa14
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alilslow)
I have the exact same problem! I decided to go with the 20-21th one though. Now I’m wondering if I should pick the 6-7th one 🤔
Lxxa14
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bellebags)
do you know how to access the online portal for A&O? The link i was using on my laptop doesn't allow me on to it anymore as the deadline date has passed and can't seem to find another way to access it!
Maybe email grad recruitment?
bellebags
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lxxa14)
Maybe email grad recruitment?
I doesn't matter anymore I got an email with a PFO but at least I know!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (14)
73.68%
No (3)
15.79%
Not sure (2)
10.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise