Awkward Student Finance Situation? Watch

Jacquecarson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've got all but one offer from my unis now but I'm worried about applying for student finance.

I technically live in a high income household, but all the money is earned by my mum's boyfriend who I have almost nothing to do with (besides the fact I live under his roof). I am not entitled to any of his money and will have absolutely no support from him or my mum when I'm at uni. My mum gets child support payments and stuff from my dad which pays for me (food, buses, clothes etc.) but she's currently training for a job, meaning she has no income evidence to really show when we're asked.

If I put the actual household income figure in when asked my maintenance loan that I'd receive would be far too small to live off and I would have to work ridiculous hours on top of my course just to make ends meet. If I put my mum's income then we have little to back it up and things probably won't seem to add up to the student finance people. It's not like I can explain to the student finance people that I'm basically at the same disadvantage as someone from a low income household.

What do I do? Has anyone else been in a similar situation? The only solution I can think of is moving in with my girlfriend and her mum but that is less than ideal.
Last edited by Jacquecarson; 1 week ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jacquecarson)
I've got all but one offer from my unis now but I'm worried about applying for student finance.

I technically live in a high income household, but all the money is earned by my mum's boyfriend who I have almost nothing to do with (besides the fact I live under his roof). I am not entitled to any of his money and will have absolutely no support from him or my mum when I'm at uni. My mum gets child support payments and stuff from my dad which pays for me (food, buses, clothes etc.) but she's currently training for a job, meaning she has no income evidence to really show when we're asked.

If I put the actual household income figure in when asked my maintenance loan that I'd receive would be far too small to live off and I would have to work ridiculous hours on top of my course just to make ends meet. If I put my mum's income then we have little to back it up and things probably won't seem to add up to the student finance people. It's not like I can explain to the student finance people that I'm basically at the same disadvantage as someone from a low income household.

What do I do? Has anyone else been in a similar situation? The only solution I can think of is moving in with my girlfriend and her mum but that is less than ideal.
Difficult. If your mum is divorced but living with a new partner then I believe he counts as part of the household income.
She can get earnings information from HMRC.
Student finance works on the basis you have to prove entitlement including evidence.
If your mums partner wont be assessed, then you will get the minimum. You also dont have to provide documentation.
Moving in with your gf wont help unless you can show three years independence.

Your situation is similar to parents who refuse to help.

In those circumstances delay going to uni, get a job and save the difference.
Evelyn34
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The best solution is to phone student finance up and ask them. Because it is a difficult situation and the only way is to ask or keep guessing.
s.aureus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My friend was in a similar situation, she just had to go for the minimum amount of £.. it sucks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?