The Student Room Group

McGill vs UofT ???

Which uni would have an overall stronger reputation in the US and Canada??? Which one is more known in the UK ?
Reply 1
U of T.

what you wanna study?
Reply 2
Original post by Joleee
U of T.

what you wanna study?

Mechanical Engineering
Reply 3
Original post by Joleee
U of T.

what you wanna study?

Why is it harder to get into McGill tho ?
Reply 4
Hey there, I've also applied for mechanical engineering at Mcgill. If you look at the university rankings on QS for mechanical engineering, McGill ranks higher (it's #27 worldwide), plus I feel like Quebec is a more interesting place to live (my parents used to live in Montreal).
Have you applied to any of the two unis yet?
Reply 5
Original post by cielb
Hey there, I've also applied for mechanical engineering at Mcgill. If you look at the university rankings on QS for mechanical engineering, McGill ranks higher (it's #27 worldwide), plus I feel like Quebec is a more interesting place to live (my parents used to live in Montreal).
Have you applied to any of the two unis yet?

Still waiting on their decision... are you an a level student ? Are you still left on ‘ready for review’ ?
Reply 6
Original post by OMG354
Still waiting on their decision... are you an a level student ? Are you still left on ‘ready for review’ ?

Same here urgh. Yes studying maths, further maths, physics and French A levels and still left on 'ready for review'
Reply 7
Original post by OMG354
Which uni would have an overall stronger reputation in the US and Canada??? Which one is more known in the UK ?

Hi, Canadian student here. Both McGill and UofT are very great universities for engineering, but overall, the University of Toronto has a stronger reputation in both North America, and maybe the U.K (only because its ranked higher than McGill on league tables). If you're planning to stay in the U.K after graduating with a Canadian degree I suggest you pick UofT since its more well known. However, although the University of Toronto is a great university, it has a reputation here in Canada for its grade deflation. Most undergraduate students there have really low averages and really low GPA's due to the difficulty of its undergraduate programs. The average GPA of an undergraduate student there is a 2.9, which is around a 2:2 degree when converted to the U.K degree system. I'm not sure about McGill's undergraduate program, however, so feel free to do some research on that. So if you plan on taking a master or going into postgraduate study, just be wary of the fact that you might get very low grades during your undergraduate years which may impact your post-graduate prospects. Which campus did you apply to for UofT? Mississauga? Scarborough? or St. George?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending