Where do you buy your games? Watch

ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm curious as to how people get their games.

Do you download them from the playstation store? [or similar store for your console], do you go to a highstreet store?, do you get them off Amazon? , do you get them off another online store?, are you pirate so no longer buy games?
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ANM775)

Do you download them from the playstation store? [or similar store for your console], do you go to a highstreet store?, do you get them off Amazon? , do you get them off another online store?, are you pirate so no longer buy games?
I don't have playstation myself but most of the video games I buy are either from argos, from the nintendo online store (if they're on offer or have a small storage space), or from amazon.
Charlie101998
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
steam. The only two consoles I buy physical copies of games are the switch and 3DS. I also collect retro games and consoles so I usually go to eBay for that stuff.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i just look around for the cheapest, so usually greenmangaming, Ebay or any second hand shop. official online stores (steam,psn,xbox) usually only if they are on sale. I used to use shop to for console preorders, but recently have used gamecollection. But yeah , I have no preference other than "who's selling it for the cheapest price".
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
i just look around for the cheapest, so usually greenmangaming, Ebay or any second hand shop. official online stores (steam,psn,xbox) usually only if they are on sale. I used to use shop to for console preorders, but recently have used gamecollection. But yeah , I have no preference other than "who's selling it for the cheapest price".
back in the day amazon always had the cheapest price so i used to typically get it from there....., but amazon ain't what it used to be. They've grown too big ...so have decided to up their price ...and are now typically priced around the mid level for most things whereas before they used to be on the cheap side.

I just bought uncharted 4 new and sealed for under £10 on ebay and it came the next day.

uncharted 4 is selling for over £15 on amazon.

MASSIVE difference

I will typically look for the cheapest possible price online, then look at delivery times, and scrutinise if the website or seller is trustworthy. If i am happy then i will purchase.

going to high street stores are a waste of time for me I find as their prices are typically towards the more expensive range, and tbh it's just not worth it. You don't even get the games sealed most of the time with stores like Game etc...

in fact i once sold a sealed copy of fifa 18 to cex and they unsealed it!
idiots!.....
Bruinsgirl40
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My boyfriend works in GAME so it is a mix of there and online.
BrainMan9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Allcdkeys.com or something like that. Way cheaper
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Wherever is cheapest. That changes game to game.
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
usually steam when there's a sale. haven't used grey market sources like g2a before but would price depending.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nowadays I am using steam (keys) and online shops to buy video games.

The days that I buy in game shops are over.
Cheesybread
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I go to CEX play a game complete it trade in get another, then it only costs a couple of quid
Gamingexpertnot
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ps store or Amazon but mostly PS store
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The Game Collection www.thegamecollection.net is always the cheapest by far, plus you get 'points' back which means a discount.

They used to be extra 'fast' with their pre-orders too, ahem.
Last edited by ozzyoscy; 2 weeks ago
ibby68
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Steam
papie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ANM775)

pirate bay
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Steam for most things, it just works so well and completely turned around PC gaming.

I torrented games for a good while, partly as skint, and partly due to the awful quality control and technical issues of releases (often the pirate version worked better), but I'd always said if someone made a workable, affordable game retail platform i'd stop so i did.

I used to spend a lot of time and money in game shops on console games, but honestly feel the prices are just too high now, you can always find it cheaper, and often a lot cheaper.
Tragical
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Argos cause usually they're a fiver cheaper lol
ibby68
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Steam for most things, it just works so well and completely turned around PC gaming.

I torrented games for a good while, partly as skint, and partly due to the awful quality control and technical issues of releases (often the pirate version worked better), but I'd always said if someone made a workable, affordable game retail platform i'd stop so i did.

I used to spend a lot of time and money in game shops on console games, but honestly feel the prices are just too high now, you can always find it cheaper, and often a lot cheaper.
Yeah 60 pounds for a new release these days. Way too much
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ibby68)
Yeah 60 pounds for a new release these days. Way too much
If you're lucky, I'm seeing more £65s and £70s...not to mention the ever present DLC/special editions/novelty junk that pushes them past £100
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Tragical)
Argos cause usually they're a fiver cheaper lol
Argos is for convenience really, as you can pick it up just hours later.

But The Game Collection is much cheaper. And if your pre-order doesn't arrive on the day, TGC refunds you while you buy from Argos that day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (338)
60.47%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.19%
No- I want it (152)
27.19%
No- I don't want it (40)
7.16%

Watched Threads