The Student Room Group

Are dissections compulsory at uni?

I am currently in year 12, and I think I want to study a human biology course, with the intent to become a physiologist. However, I am quite squeamish around dissections. I am okay doing anything without eyes, but I would not like to do cadaveric dissection/full body dissections. Which unis have these as compulsory as I am struggling to find information? Thank you! <3
Would you be okay with looking at prosections (already dissected specimens, you don't have to do any dissecting yourself) or do you just not want anything like that at all?
I know of the unis that offer dissections, very few still offer full cadaveric dissection. Liverpool is one - their Anatomy and Human Biology course (my undergrad) was heavily based on cadavers. The Physiology BSc on the other hand had a lot of the same modules but didn't involve any dissection at all. It might be worth looking at straight physiology courses as well if that's what you're thinking of becoming.
Thank you so much, that really helpful as I am considering Liverpool. Think I would be okay with prosections, just wouldn’t want to touch them myself. And yes, I will also be looking at physiology courses but there doesn’t seem to that many unis that offer it so that’s why going to look at human biology too. Thanks for the info!
Reply 3
We dissected a fish the other day on our lab class and had to cut the eyes out to see the lens, organs. I also had to kill a hydra lol to see its cells. I am doing biology course with York university. We never dissected a human 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending