Old video games Watch

JakeTSR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I didn’t really know where to post this and I don’t really know if this is an obvious question. But anyway...

In really old video games, such as Doom, when you fire a gun you see the muzzle flash and then the effect of the bullet on the alien or enemy. But what happens to the bullet in between this sequence?? It doesn’t exist in the game yet still appears once it’s called upon in the position we expect it to.
I’m trying to come up with an analogy to understand wave function collapse. Lmao.
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In the games you're talking about, nothing happens. "Velocity" of the bullet has "infinite" magnitude. But really velocity isn't something that needs to be considered, because as long as your gun points at the correct point on a 2d map, you will shoot whatever is the first object in the direction the gun is pointing in or it will stop because of in game physics limiting the maximum distance a bullet can travel.

So, because the velocity magnitude is infinite, there is no "after the muzzle flash" it all happens at the same time.
Another way is noting time = distance/speed so the time it takes to "reach" the enemy is 0 if speed is infinite.
Obviously this isn't true in real life, as the bullet has to penetrate the air and can't travel at infinite speed.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is called Hitscan.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitscan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (202)
67.11%
No (99)
32.89%

Watched Threads