The Student Room Group

Alevels YR12- how do I deal with a class I dislike?

I used to love sociology but my teacher increased the homework and I would start rushing it. I went from getting B’s to getting E’s and overall I just dislike being in the class now. The amount of work he sends stresses me out too much and I know others feel the same way, currently I have to do: 10 essay plans per week (this is every week) ,sometimes we will have to do 5 booklets to complete as well or it’ll be 40 questions and we have to complete an analysis (like a redo) of all our questions for our tests (two 10 markers and one 20 marker) and on top of this he expects us to revise at least 4 hours per week and it’s all just too much. I hate his classes and don’t want to attended anymore, my motivation for his subject is plummeting and I have no idea what to do about it. To make things worse he’s been talking to other subject teachers saying they aren’t giving out enough homework so they have increased their amount too but god, it’s not as bad as his! I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on surviving college, dealing with high levels of stress and how to feel motivated again in a subject? I’m only in year 12 and have no idea how I’m going to get through the following year. Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by RforRebecca
I used to love sociology but my teacher increased the homework and I would start rushing it. I went from getting B’s to getting E’s and overall I just dislike being in the class now. The amount of work he sends stresses me out too much and I know others feel the same way, currently I have to do: 10 essay plans per week (this is every week) ,sometimes we will have to do 5 booklets to complete as well or it’ll be 40 questions and we have to complete an analysis (like a redo) of all our questions for our tests (two 10 markers and one 20 marker) and on top of this he expects us to revise at least 4 hours per week and it’s all just too much. I hate his classes and don’t want to attended anymore, my motivation for his subject is plummeting and I have no idea what to do about it. To make things worse he’s been talking to other subject teachers saying they aren’t giving out enough homework so they have increased their amount too but god, it’s not as bad as his! I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on surviving college, dealing with high levels of stress and how to feel motivated again in a subject? I’m only in year 12 and have no idea how I’m going to get through the following year. Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

Create time by being organised and setting time aside to get it done. Ten essay plans a week sounds too much imo, so you could group together with other students and check with the head of department or head of sixth or head and state it is being overdone. Thats over 3000 sociology essay plans a year. I doubt there are that many. An essay plan could be 5 minutes to 30, so it depends what his idea of one is.

One thing you should bear in mind is that once you get used to making an essay plan and doing the test its just rinse and repeat. Just think long term and dont fall behind. Other students must survive though as they will pay attention to his grades.

Motivate yourself by making yourself a list of benefits , such as why you need the A level and getting to uni or starting your career. Post that on your wall or carry the list around with you.
(edited 4 years ago)
It is normal for people to dislike some classes because they are boring or difficult. The best approach is to:
1. You have to change your attitude towards the class you dislike because each subject learned is valuable.
2. Link the subject with something you like doing such as inline tutorials or flashcards.
3. It is crucial to develop an action plan that will help follow to catch up on any missed work and complete future assigned works.
4. Study with other students that like the subject.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Create time by being organised and setting time aside to get it done. Ten essay plans a week sounds too much imo, so you could group together with other students and check with the head of department or head of sixth or head and state it is being overdone. Thats over 3000 sociology essay plans a year. I doubt there are that many. An essay plan could be 5 minutes to 30, so it depends what his idea of one is.

One thing you should bear in mind is that once you get used to making an essay plan and doing the test its just rinse and repeat. Just think long term and dont fall behind. Other students must survive though as they will pay attention to his grades.

Motivate yourself by making yourself a list of benefits , such as why you need the A level and getting to uni or starting your career. Post that on your wall or carry the list around with you.

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by Prof. Yano
It is normal for people to dislike some classes because they are boring or difficult. The best approach is to:
1. You have to change your attitude towards the class you dislike because each subject learned is valuable.
2. Link the subject with something you like doing such as inline tutorials or flashcards.
3. It is crucial to develop an action plan that will help follow to catch up on any missed work and complete future assigned works.
4. Study with other students that like the subject.

Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it!
Reply 5
Since you do sociology can I ask if it's worth it right now in Febuary to change to sociology from btec applied science? I did sociology for like 2 weeks and thought I wanted to do forensic science so I changed but now I don't want to and think soc would suite me better? xx

Sorry I can't answer your question though
Reply 6
Original post by anwarm0
Since you do sociology can I ask if it's worth it right now in Febuary to change to sociology from btec applied science? I did sociology for like 2 weeks and thought I wanted to do forensic science so I changed but now I don't want to and think soc would suite me better? xx

Sorry I can't answer your question though

Don't worry its fine and I really enjoy sociology like the stuff we learn however it is a lot of work so you kind of have to stay on top it all the time although that might be just for my school lmao but all the people I know enjoy it too but yeah dislike the amount of work. Maybe you could talk to the sociology teacher at your college and ask about the subject in more depth while seeing what they are currently doing and see if any of that interests you? I don't really know anything about Btec applied science so I cant really compare it but for me sociology is a good and interesting subject to take and I've loved learning the content, hope you get it sorted soon xx

Quick Reply

Latest