How feminist is UK as a whole compared to US?

Watch
poliuyut
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Is it more extreme here do you think?
BrainMan9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Name:  f.png
Views: 54
Size:  191.9 KB :d
Charlie101998
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Seriously, from what I've seen, England is one of the most progressive places on earth in terms of equality. We've had female politicians and CEOS for years, ever a few female leaders. I wouldn't classify England as feminist orientated because of the negative connotations associated with the word but England is very equal for everyone as a whole. Thats not to say there isn't a few pockets of nob heads that seem to arise and make headlines, buts that just the very noisy minority.
BrainMan9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Be aware that in the UK there is no such thing as freedom of speech and a thought crime is an actual thing here. In the US if one of the really mental ones starts yelling something about mansplaing at you. You can simply call he a c*unt and just walk away. Here you will get a jail time.
Charlie101998
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by BrainMan9)
Be aware that in the UK there is no such thing as freedom of speech and a thought crime is an actual thing here. In the US if one of the really mental ones starts yelling something about mansplaing at you. You can simply call he a c*unt and just walk away. Here you will get a jail time.
This is also true. Freedom of speech is very restricted. Anything that may be deemed hateful can count as a hate crime. Like that guy that made a joke out of hitler with the pug,
poliuyut
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Charlie101998)
Seriously, from what I've seen, England is one of the most progressive places on earth in terms of equality. We've had female politicians and CEOS for years, ever a few female leaders. I wouldn't classify England as feminist orientated because of the negative connotations associated with the word but England is very equal for everyone as a whole. Thats not to say there isn't a few pockets of nob heads that seem to arise and make headlines, buts that just the very noisy minority.
So you're saying very few women hold radical views?
I'm not from UK myself, so I was curious about the scene of feminism there.
Charlie101998
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by poliuyut)
If you actively seek them out then yeah, you're gonna find quite a few extreme left and extreme right and extreme whatever like you do in all societies, but in most day to day circumstances, people are chill, respect your stance and just get on with their lives, regardless of your gender, sexual orientation, race and anything else.
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
All you need to the know is while the vast majority of people here 95%+ believe in full gender equality, only 7% of women self identify as feminists. That's because they see the dictionary definition of feminism and then see what it's like in the real world and online.
Btw that 5% that don't believe in full gender equality are predominantly ethnic minorities with ideas and cultures they've brought with them, so feminists hardly want to talk about them.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
quite a few of the ladies here burned their bras a while ago; they seem to have calmed down a bit since then ?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
What a bizarre post. Given that feminism is a quest for equality on all sides, you make it sound like a bad thing.
PotatoFruit
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
What a bizarre post. Given that feminism is a quest for equality on all sides, you make it sound like a bad thing.
I don’t think feminism is bad, but if you search on the internet you can see how opinions are changing to it being something negative
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by poliuyut)
95% (ish) of people believe in equality between men and women. But feminism has been so derailed by a men-hating vocal minority (that's overly broadcasted by the media and universities) that it's now seen by some as a dirty word.
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Relative to the US? Very feminist. The UK is probably one of the most feminist countries in the world. Feminism is highly institutionalised in this country both on the left:

and the right:
The education system is probability where you find the greatest influence of this ideology. Academics and students have been fired and expelled from their jobs/schools/universities/colleges for criticising feminism or presenting beliefs that do not conform with feminist dogma.

Despite being highly institiognalsied, feminism is highly unpopular. The majority of the general public oppose feminism with only 7% of the population willing to identify with this label.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/li...ves-feminists/

Despite being a democratic country, the state in this country, in so far as feminism is concerned, does not reflect the views of the general public. Feminism, if you will, is an ideology imposed on people in this country.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 9 months ago
Pinkisk
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Equality is a state where everyone has the same rights. Its an all or nothing concept. Feminism opposes fathers and mothers having the same right of say in abortion. Hence, feminism opposes equality. There is also a branch of feminism that calls itself equity feminism, which teaches its followers that equality is wrong and that it should be replaced with equity. Hence, your claim that feminism is about equality is wrong on a number of levels. Not all feminists believe in equality and those that claim to, do not support universal equality. Your definition for feminism is, in its entirety, false.

A more accurate description of feminism is as follows:

"A marxists communist ideology that believes that we live in a world run by a sexist system it calls the 'patriarchy'. A system created by men to oppress and enslave women to men. Feminism aims to depose this 'patriarchy'"

Equality is not a goal for feminism. It's not even an issue for feminism. Its an inaccurate word feminists often use to sell their ideology to people, a word disconnected from the reality of feminism.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 9 months ago
AnonymousNoMore
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by BrainMan9)
You are aware that the US also doesn't have true freedom of speach? There are very clear restrictions on what you can say, the same as it is here.
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by AnonymousNoMore)
You are aware that the US also doesn't have true freedom of speach? There are very clear restrictions on what you can say, the same as it is here.
The US doesn't have hate speech laws, the UK does. And hate speech definitions are the complete opposite of 'clear', they're by their very nature ambiguous
AnonymousNoMore
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Johnny Tightlips)
The US doesn't have hate speech laws, the UK does. And hate speech definitions are the complete opposite of 'clear', they're by their very nature ambiguous
I was replying to the other user who said the US had freedom of speach and compared it to the UK, I was just saying that the US doesn't have complete freedom of speach. I'm fully aware of the hate speach legislative differences. And I didn't say hate speach definitions were clear, I said what is protected and unprotected speach in the US are clear, as it is. You just misread my message.
1st superstar
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
because it is and has gone too far (i am saying this as a proud anti-feminist 1st world western girl.) fellow ladies pay your half of the bill before demanding for more!!
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by AnonymousNoMore)
I was replying to the other user who said the US had freedom of speach and compared it to the UK, I was just saying that the US doesn't have complete freedom of speach. I'm fully aware of the hate speach legislative differences. And I didn't say hate speach definitions were clear, I said what is protected and unprotected speach in the US are clear, as it is. You just misread my message.
But u said "the same as it is here [in the UK]". We have less free speech than the usa
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by the bear)
quite a few of the ladies here burned their bras a while ago; they seem to have calmed down a bit since then ?
I burnt mine in the 80s and have never looked backless
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (627)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.11%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.76%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.46%

Watched Threads