The Student Room Group

Comp Science without A-level maths and Computer science

How hard is Bsc Comp Sci without A-level Maths/computer science?How far behind will i be?What can i do to get up to speed in time for uni?
Reply 1
I think you will definitely need A Level Maths to study Comp Sci. at uni, I haven't seen a uni that doesn't have it as part of their requirements.

As for A Level Computer Science, it is not required for you to study Comp Sci. I know people that have applied without it and have gotten offers to study Comp Sci.

I don't have an answer as to how hard it would be without A Level Comp Sci. It would depend on your previous coding knowledge I suppose.
Reply 2
Original post by A.Bsmi
I think you will definitely need A Level Maths to study Comp Sci. at uni, I haven't seen a uni that doesn't have it as part of their requirements.

As for A Level Computer Science, it is not required for you to study Comp Sci. I know people that have applied without it and have gotten offers to study Comp Sci.

I don't have an answer as to how hard it would be without A Level Comp Sci. It would depend on your previous coding knowledge I suppose.

Queen Mary and Sussex both offer comp sci at AAB without a level maths or comp sci required. That's why I'm asking how hard it will be for someone without those two a-levels.
The only universities which require A-Level maths are those around the 'top-20', whose degrees tend to be a lot more mathematical in nature. Most universities don't need it since they don't really have much maths content. Have a look at this stickied thread at the top of the forum for a list of some good universities which don't need Maths: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5007920

Note - that list doesn't include any ex-polytechnic/'new' universities who generally don't ask for maths, and mostly offer vocationally-based computer science degrees which are focused more on learning the hands-on skills for technical/computing jobs (e.g. programming, databases, networking, etc) rather than the theoretical/mathematical side of computer science.

It can be helpful to have studied CompSci at A-level or to at least have taught yourself some programming, but nearly all universities assume no previous knowledge or experience of the subject and will introduce it from basic principles; however it'll be a lot more work in your first year (which is mostly a catch-up year). People who have studied the subject before generally have a fairly easy/relaxed time in the first year.

The whole point of entry requirements is to make sure that people accepted onto a course should be able to cope with it - if they thought you wouldn't be able to cope, then you just wouldn't get an offer. However, they do expect you to be studying full-time (total 30-40hrs per week, including contact hours and self-study time).
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending