The Student Room Group

References when moving jobs

Hi,

When moving from one job to the next, references are needed usually, be it Perm or Temp. I understand basic things like dates of employment, job title, etc get checked. My question is, do they check your reason for leaving ? Also, do they check your main responsibilities and who you reported into/manager position ? Thanks😀
Original post by Anonymous370
Hi,

When moving from one job to the next, references are needed usually, be it Perm or Temp. I understand basic things like dates of employment, job title, etc get checked. My question is, do they check your reason for leaving ? Also, do they check your main responsibilities and who you reported into/manager position ? Thanks😀

It depends on the industry conventions, and what the receiving employers asks for, and what the leaving employer decides to give. There's really no way of knowing.

In some industries, the more strictly regulated ones such as education, finance etc, then references are likely to be both particular in what is asked and specific in what is given in references. Some employers ask a very vague question like 'Please describe X's suitability for the role', but some will send out a questionnaire that is very specific. But what the leaving employer fills in is also up to them, so long as it is honest.

When writing an application form/CV it's always best to have a mental benchmark 'If my current boss read this, would they accept it was a fair 'best version' of what I've done in this role', which can then save any reference embarrassment.
Original post by threeportdrift
It depends on the industry conventions, and what the receiving employers asks for, and what the leaving employer decides to give. There's really no way of knowing.

In some industries, the more strictly regulated ones such as education, finance etc, then references are likely to be both particular in what is asked and specific in what is given in references. Some employers ask a very vague question like 'Please describe X's suitability for the role', but some will send out a questionnaire that is very specific. But what the leaving employer fills in is also up to them, so long as it is honest.

When writing an application form/CV it's always best to have a mental benchmark 'If my current boss read this, would they accept it was a fair 'best version' of what I've done in this role', which can then save any reference embarrassment.

Thanks. How’s it like for Accounting ? Thanks. Also, what if a mismatch between reason for leaving given by candidate to agency and what the employer says ? Is it end of the day/application ? Thanks
Thanks. How’s it like for Accounting ? Thanks. Also, what if a mismatch between reason for leaving given by candidate to agency and what the employer says ? Is it end of the day/application ? Thanks

Accounting would be towards the formal end of things, what with honesty, regulated industry etc.

If the mismatch is that the candidate says they are moving for career progression and the employer say they were fired for incompetence, then obviously that's a problem.

It's a common sense issue, not everything in life is regulated. References have to be honest - that's the only legal requirement, after that is is what it is, a matter of professional judgement on both sides.

References for accounting will be on the more formal side of things.
With regards to the reasons for you leaving, the employer you are leaving might not always know the reason you are leaving, especially if you don't tell them. Even if you have told them and they know they might not always say. Obviously, if you were sacked then they would mention it. This would then look bad on you if you have told the new employer that you were looking for career progression/ something closer to home/whatever other genuine sounding reason.
Why are you worried about the reason you are leaving.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending