Phillip Schofield 'comes out as gay' Watch

tyke_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51414010

As title, he has declared himself gay at 57. I'm slightly puzzled by this.

He has been married for many years and has fathered 2 children. Surely a 100% gay man would find it physically impossible to father 2 children?

I think he is actually bi-sexual (so to state he is gay is incorrect) or that his sexuality has changed at some point. If it's the latter then I wonder what causes this to happen?

I don't believe sexual orientation is a choice. It's a biological chemical reaction that we have no control over. For example, no amount of thinking or wanting could ever cause me to get an erection over a man.
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tyke_)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51414010

As title, he has declared himself gay at 57. I'm slightly puzzled by this.

He has been married for many years and has fathered 2 children. Surely a 100% gay man would find it physically impossible to father 2 children?

I think he is actually bi-sexual (so to state he is gay is incorrect) or that his sexuality has changed at some point. If it's the latter then I wonder what causes this to happen?

I don't believe sexual orientation is a choice. It's a biological chemical reaction that we have no control over. For example, no amount of thinking or wanting could ever cause me to get an erection over a man.
saw the topic title and thought it was a troll topic at first.

tbh i don't think phillip is gay. one does not get to 57, father two children, have a long and happy marriage and then simply stop being attracted to women and become attracted to men.

more likely he was actually bi, but got influenced by lgbt media ...and has decided he likes men more than women so has decided to declare himself gay
Shimo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's not uncommon for gay men to live a life as a straight person, get married and have children, only for them to come out as gay when they're in their mid-40s
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m not remotely bothered or interested either way.
I don’t see why we need to discuss the ins and outs of each other’s sex lives.
Why is it even newsworthy and warrants a big announcement?
Still, more paper for tomorrow’s chips
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I find it funny that any of you feel you have the right to speculate and/or redefine someone's own sexuality? It's precisely none of your business and your speculative opinion on what his sexuality is 'actually' is not relevant.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If he says he's gay then he's gay.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Paracosm)
I find it funny that any of you feel you have the right to speculate and/or redefine someone's own sexuality? It's precisely none of your business and your speculative opinion on what his sexuality is 'actually' is not relevant.
I agree with the sentiment but you’re being a bit harsh.
there are minimal comments and those posters are entitled to express their opinions. They haven’t said anything wrong. Nothing remotely offensive.
Philip himself has made it public business by choosing to make a full spectrum announcement. He didn’t need to say anything. Ultimately, who cares?
Last edited by Sammylou40; 1 week ago
ProbablyPallas
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Generally I don't particularly care, I just find it selfish and unfair on his wife and two children, since now the children know he never loved his mother properly, and his wife was just a cover up for his homosexuality. On the other hand, when he was young it was a much different time for homosexuals, but there's no reason to get married and have children and leave it so long, damaging his family in the process.

Edit: I'm not bashing him coming out at all, I'm happy he feels comfortable enough to do so, however I don't necessarily agree with stringing people along just to hurt them.
Last edited by ProbablyPallas; 1 week ago
TCL
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It was still very difficult for a public figure to be openly gay in the 80's and looking "normal" would have made life easier and helped his career at that time. Thankfully, that is no longer the case but it is almost impossible for people under 25 to imagine what it was like as things are so different. There are many others in the past who have done the same thing and had children, including Oscar Wilde who ultimately died due to the prison sentence he got for being gay.

Nobody knows what his relationship with his wife and children was/is like and you can't judge him on this, only his family can. They may have known for a long time, and it is entirely possible for a gay man to love a woman very much even if he is not sexually attracted to her.

It must have been very difficult to come out now, and I expect he would probably like to keep it as quiet as possible.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Phillip made it everyone's business by taking it public.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't think anybody except for himself should be saying what his sexuality is. Only he knows what's going on in his life, so having lots of people saying he's wrong about himself really isn't very useful. Everybody seems to be commenting on his life and this statement he's made about it as if they know him personally. He said in his statement you never truly know what's going on in a person's life, people should remember that. I was surprised to hear this, but as long as he is happy within himself (which it seems like he is now) then good for him.

Edit: the people I'm referring to aren't just on this thread, but from what I've read on social media already about it.
Last edited by DrawTheLine; 1 week ago
PlantsGalore74
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ProbablyPallas)
Generally I don't particularly care, I just find it selfish and unfair on his wife and two children, since now the children know he never loved his mother properly, and his wife was just a cover up for his homosexuality. On the other hand, when he was young it was a much different time for homosexuals, but there's no reason to get married and have children and leave it so long, damaging his family in the process.

Edit: I'm not bashing him coming out at all, I'm happy he feels comfortable enough to do so, however I don't necessarily agree with stringing people along just to hurt them.
That is an awful thing to say, and yes, you are bashing him even if you are trying to sugarcoat it.

It's not one say thing to come out as gay after years of believing you are a different sexuality. It's clearly been damaging for HIM as well wondering about how hard it would hurt his family when he realised he was gay. Would you prefer he hide it and be the butt of jokes in the tabloids and suffer mentally knowing he isn't who he wants to be and be forced to live a lie? That's how many closeted men commit suicide - being forced to be who they're not. It's been seen recently how stressed he was because he's been looking more and more ill on This Morning from it all.

His marriage was not a "cover up for his homosexuality". His wife helped him realise his sexuality, and is standing by him while he figures it all out. He LOVES his wife - even if he is gay he has loved her and will always love her, so you are a truly disgusting kind of person to say "he never loved [his wife] properly". He does love her, he loves his children and it has clearly been destroying him inside to have to explain this all. He didn't string them along. He isn't selfish.

Phillip Schofield is gay. That's it. We should be happy that he feels comfortable to come out now instead of hide it and cause more misery by pretending to be straight when he isn't. THAT is more unfair on the family than him owning who he is and ensuring he could speak with his family properly. His daughters accept him being gay, as does his wife, so perhaps we leave that area alone and let him be him?
ProbablyPallas
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PlantsGalore74)
That is an awful thing to say, and yes, you are bashing him even if you are trying to sugarcoat it.

It's not one say thing to come out as gay after years of believing you are a different sexuality. It's clearly been damaging for HIM as well wondering about how hard it would hurt his family when he realised he was gay. Would you prefer he hide it and be the butt of jokes in the tabloids and suffer mentally knowing he isn't who he wants to be and be forced to live a lie? That's how many closeted men commit suicide - being forced to be who they're not. It's been seen recently how stressed he was because he's been looking more and more ill on This Morning from it all.

His marriage was not a "cover up for his homosexuality". His wife helped him realise his sexuality, and is standing by him while he figures it all out. He LOVES his wife - even if he is gay he has loved her and will always love her, so you are a truly disgusting kind of person to say "he never loved [his wife] properly". He does love her, he loves his children and it has clearly been destroying him inside to have to explain this all. He didn't string them along. He isn't selfish.

Phillip Schofield is gay. That's it. We should be happy that he feels comfortable to come out now instead of hide it and cause more misery by pretending to be straight when he isn't. THAT is more unfair on the family than him owning who he is and ensuring he could speak with his family properly. His daughters accept him being gay, as does his wife, so perhaps we leave that area alone and let him be him?
TL;DR

I'm entitled to my opinion and you're entitled to yours. If I was married to someone for however long, had two children with them and then they turned around and said they were never sexually attracted to me, I'd be furious at them for wasting my life.
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Has he been accused of something?
tyke_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm not trying to create debate on the rights and wrongs of being gay or how they should conduct their lives.
I'm just puzzled as to how someone who has fathered 2 children can now claim to be gay. It's an obvious contradiction.

He has been aroused enough to have sexual intercourse with a woman, so this means he's bisexual. The only other possibility I can think of is that his sexuality has changed over the years for some reason.
Toki the Dumdum
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good for him. Even my cold heart was touched by his chat with Holly.
WoodlandSorcerer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Don't think that means he doesn't love his wife. It's perfectly possible for someone to be sexually attracted to the same sex but only have romantic feelings for the opposite, heteroromantic homosexuals I think they're called.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
TL;DR

I'm entitled to my opinion and you're entitled to yours. If I was married to someone for however long, had two children with them and then they turned around and said they were never sexually attracted to me, I'd be furious at them for wasting my life.
Same for a divorce though. My husband said he was never happy in all our years of marriage. He was ******* someone else. I was more than furious because I know it was a lie
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is all that needs to be said on the matter imo no one other than Philip himself gets to define his sexuality

Whatever other random strangers on the internet think regarding how his wife/daughters think or feel is irrelavent. You don't know them, you don't know how they're feeling, so if they say they're happy to have helped him come to terms with everything and that they still love him, then they do. That's not for you to decide.
AnonymousNoMore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know someone who mothered 2 children and then came out as a lesbian and lives in a happy lesbian relationship. I just think it takes time for people to realise and be comfortable with who they are. Many are in Denial out of fear of persecution.

Not that it really matters, it's not my life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (46)
31.72%
No (76)
52.41%
Don't know (23)
15.86%

Watched Threads