Ssesh_xx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi I’m picking my year 9 gcse options and I’m quite worried since its in like 2 weeks and I haven’t decided what I want to do.
I would really appreciate if I could get input on what classical civilisation is like for gcse and whether it is somewhat easier to get a nine in?
Thanks!!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Ssesh_xx)
Hi I’m picking my year 9 gcse options and I’m quite worried since its in like 2 weeks and I haven’t decided what I want to do.
I would really appreciate if I could get input on what classical civilisation is like for gcse and whether it is somewhat easier to get a nine in?
Thanks!!
Mix of Literature, History and Sociology. Very good imo.
Whether you get a 9 depends on whether you are interested, how hard and smart you work etc.
Find out the exam board and look up the specification plus maybe talk to the teacher.
Ssesh_xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Mix of Literature, History and Sociology. Very good imo.
Whether you get a 9 depends on whether you are interested, how hard and smart you work etc.
Find out the exam board and look up the specification plus maybe talk to the teacher.
Oh okay! Thanks for replying!
But is it a subject that’s is overwhelmingly difficult as I’m already taking a few content heavy based subjects, I know it’s not going to be easy but I was wondering if classics could be something I can relax with?
Last edited by Ssesh_xx; 9 months ago
999tigger
Report 9 months ago
Oh okay! Thanks for replying!
But is it a subject that’s is overwhelmingly difficult as I’m already taking a few content heavy based subjects, I know it’s not going to be easy but I was wondering if classics could be something I can relax with?
Nope its fine and fun if you like learning about different ideas, cultures and stories. Which exam board?
Ssesh_xx
Rep:
?
Nope its fine and fun if you like learning about different ideas, cultures and stories. Which exam board?
OCR
Thanks for the input it helps so much!
Last edited by Ssesh_xx; 9 months ago
999tigger
Report 9 months ago
OCR
Thanks for the input it helps so much!
https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualification...n-at-a-glance/

This is the spec at a glance as well as the spec in detail can be downloaded.
Ask your teacher which subjects you might do.

Component group 1: Thematic study

Students study one of the two components listed below. Both components involve a comparative study of ancient Greece and Rome, and combine literary and visual/material sources.

The components are:

Myth and religion (11)- I would guess this is more about gods and what role they played in Greek and Roman life- Think clash of the Titans etc
Women in the ancient world (12).- I would guess this is more like social history and learning about the role of women in ancient societies

I would prefer the myths, but personal choice and the teacher might have decided.

Component group 2: Literature and culture

Students couple an in-depth cultural study with the study of a related body of literature. They select one from the following three components:

The Homeric world (21)- Homer wrote two main books- one is the Iliad concerning the Trojan war and the other is the Odyssey concerning a hero's long adventures and journeys back to his homeland. I expect you just study part of the Idyssey and not the whole book.
Roman city life (22)- Expect this is more social history. Watch something like Rome the HBO series

War and warfare (23).- Expect this is more to do with either Greek v Persians or Greeks v Romans. Might be a bit male.

Imo if you like stories, adventures or history, then you should find it fun.
Ssesh_xx
Rep:
?
https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualification...n-at-a-glance/

This is the spec at a glance as well as the spec in detail can be downloaded.
Ask your teacher which subjects you might do.

Component group 1: Thematic study

Students study one of the two components listed below. Both components involve a comparative study of ancient Greece and Rome, and combine literary and visual/material sources.

The components are:

Myth and religion (11)- I would guess this is more about gods and what role they played in Greek and Roman life- Think clash of the Titans etc
Women in the ancient world (12).- I would guess this is more like social history and learning about the role of women in ancient societies

I would prefer the myths, but personal choice and the teacher might have decided.

Component group 2: Literature and culture

Students couple an in-depth cultural study with the study of a related body of literature. They select one from the following three components:

The Homeric world (21)- Homer wrote two main books- one is the Iliad concerning the Trojan war and the other is the Odyssey concerning a hero's long adventures and journeys back to his homeland. I expect you just study part of the Idyssey and not the whole book.
Roman city life (22)- Expect this is more social history. Watch something like Rome the HBO series

War and warfare (23).- Expect this is more to do with either Greek v Persians or Greeks v Romans. Might be a bit male.

Imo if you like stories, adventures or history, then you should find it fun.
I looked at the spec and it does seem very interesting, we are doing myth and religion and the Homeric world and I am quite happy with the content!
Thank-you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (592)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads