Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Should your boyfriend/girlfriend make a conscious effort with your family, even if they aren’t close to theirs?

Opinions .. ?
PlantsGalore74
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I think SOME effort should be made on their part. If one truly cares about their boyfriend/girlfriend, they will make an effort to try. It will be difficult given their familial relationship and lack of closeness so it will be awkward, but it's a process to become comfortable with another family's closeness.

However, the other partner should at least inform their family that their boyfriend/girlfriend is not close with their family so may seem out of touch with how the family acts (so they can at least know that stye may not be as friendly or forthcoming with affection as they may be).

Don't know if the sis helpful but it's what I've told a friend to do when her girlfriend was estranged from her abusive family. Seems to have worked as her mum LOVES the girlfriend.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by PlantsGalore74)
I think SOME effort should be made on their part. If one truly cares about their boyfriend/girlfriend, they will make an effort to try. It will be difficult given their familial relationship and lack of closeness so it will be awkward, but it's a process to become comfortable with another family's closeness.

However, the other partner should at least inform their family that their boyfriend/girlfriend is not close with their family so may seem out of touch with how the family acts (so they can at least know that stye may not be as friendly or forthcoming with affection as they may be).

Don't know if the sis helpful but it's what I've told a friend to do when her girlfriend was estranged from her abusive family. Seems to have worked as her mum LOVES the girlfriend.
Thanks for this. I’m really close with my boyfriends family but I feel like my family don’t even know him and I’ve been with him for 2 years. Me and his mum are literally like best friends along with his sisters. His dad lives in swizerland and whenever he comes over I always make an effort to see him- sometimes even cancelling plans.
My boyfriend won’t even come round to my dads house for a couple of hours when my dad has offered to take us out, make us food etc.

What does this mean ?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks for this. I’m really close with my boyfriends family but I feel like my family don’t even know him and I’ve been with him for 2 years. Me and his mum are literally like best friends along with his sisters. His dad lives in swizerland and whenever he comes over I always make an effort to see him- sometimes even cancelling plans.
My boyfriend won’t even come round to my dads house for a couple of hours when my dad has offered to take us out, make us food etc.

What does this mean ?
You need to be talking to your boyfriend about this, as only he will know why he is reluctant to spend more time with your family.
ProbablyPallas
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
A bit of a different situation, but every situation would be different, but my fiancé took a VERY long time to meet my family properly, and still feels uncomfortable with it now. On the other hand, I'm very close to his family, it's just something you'll have to speak to your partner about if you'd like them to make more of an effort.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (17)
20%
I'm not sure (2)
2.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (23)
27.06%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.53%
I'm not a current university student (40)
47.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed