Ailurophile03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  88.2 KBalcohol and carboxylic acid makes esters right?
then how do i get esters in here
Last edited by Ailurophile03; 1 year ago
Ailurophile03
Rep:
?
Kian Stevens thank youu
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Amides and amines do not form esters: amides are the most stable of the carboxylic acid derivatives and so don’t undergo the reaction; and amines are nucleophiles, just like alcohols, so they won't react together

Acid chlorides are the least stable of the carboxylic acid derivatives so they will happily react to form esters, and you obviously know that carboxylic acids will too; this therefore leaves only 3 and 4, and so the answer is C
Last edited by Kian Stevens; 1 year ago
Ailurophile03
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
Amides and amines do not form esters: amides are the most stable of the carboxylic acid derivatives and so don’t undergo the reaction; and amines are nucleophiles, just like alcohols, so they won't react together

Acid chlorides are the least stable of the carboxylic acid derivatives so they will happily react to form esters, and you obviously know that carboxylic acids will too; this therefore leaves only 3 and 4, and so the answer is C
oh so we dont necessarily need carboxylic acid reacting with alcohol. we can just use a derivative?
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

As an aside, are acyl chlorides more unstable than their equivalent acid anhydrides?
charco
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pigster)
As an aside, are acyl chlorides more unstable than their equivalent acid anhydrides?
They are more reactive, as the condensation product is the volatile HCl rather than the acid produced from the anhydride.
Kian Stevens
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pigster)
Yes, this is correct: charco already explained why this is the case

The acid chlorides are categorically the most reactive of the derivatives, and the acid anhydrides come after them in the derivative ‘reactivity series’ (whatever you want to call it)
Kian Stevens
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ailurophile03)
oh so we dont necessarily need carboxylic acid reacting with alcohol. we can just use a derivative?
That is correct; the derivatives have to be acid chlorides or acid anhydrides though
Ailurophile03
Rep:
?
That is correct; the derivatives have to be acid chlorides or acid anhydrides though
thank you very muchhh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.71%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.64%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (19)
6.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.39%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.01%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (36)
11.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.39%

Watched Threads