I need to go from a 5 on the beep test to an 8.8 in a month, is it possible? Watch

SeanLaurentParis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Okay so I've applied for law enforcement, sort of surprised I've even got this far but now I have a fitness test coming up.
The main worry is the beep test, I need an 8.8 to pass.

I've mild asthma, usually when I get 'fit' it goes away, but right now it's awful.

I got off the couch earlier this week and ran a 5 flat, I probably could have pushed to maybe 5.2.

How hard is it going to be to go from a 5 to an 8.8?
Is it doable in a month?

I've just been doing the beep test, what else should go at?
Just go out jogging? Elliptical?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The beep test is also used by the Armed Forces, so have a look on the British Army, Royal Navy and RAF Recruitment websites or Google RAF Fit for Action for a pdf. They'll be all-round fitness programmes where you can judge what stage you are at and continue training from that point. The RAF one is 12 weeks, so you might be pushing it to improve that much in a month.

Worse case, can you retake later if you don't pass and how long would you have to retrain?
SeanLaurentParis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
The beep test is also used by the Armed Forces, so have a look on the British Army, Royal Navy and RAF Recruitment websites or Google RAF Fit for Action for a pdf. They'll be all-round fitness programmes where you can judge what stage you are at and continue training from that point. The RAF one is 12 weeks, so you might be pushing it to improve that much in a month.

Worse case, can you retake later if you don't pass and how long would you have to retrain?
It's supposedly 8 weeks later, but that varies, so could be 5-6 or a couple of months, you don't get to decide.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SeanLaurentParis)
It's supposedly 8 weeks later, but that varies, so could be 5-6 or a couple of months, you don't get to decide.
The fact that you've already been training is a plus, better than starting from scratch. Only thing you can do is make the most of the next month (without pushing yourself too hard) knowing that if you don't pass you've got that extra time, and I don't doubt you could do it 2nd time even if it is just a few weeks later. All the best!
SeanLaurentParis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
The fact that you've already been training is a plus, better than starting from scratch. Only thing you can do is make the most of the next month (without pushing yourself too hard) knowing that if you don't pass you've got that extra time, and I don't doubt you could do it 2nd time even if it is just a few weeks later. All the best!
I haven't really been training much more than a week or so.. it's just not as though I'm sitting on the couch with good intentions.. I've already started.
Thank you!
BeardedLoadie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SeanLaurentParis)
I haven't really been training much more than a week or so.. it's just not as though I'm sitting on the couch with good intentions.. I've already started.
Thank you!
Well, you're training for a bleep test, so I'd be doing exactly that. Bleep test after bleep test with a few short to mid distance runs thrown in for good measure. There's technique inovled with the bleep so it's important to practice that.

Like surnia says, the bleep test is used in the RAF, and a lad from our course gained about 2 levels in the 12 weeks, but we weren't practicing the bleep test that often.

If you want it enough and work hard enough it's doable. Push yourself and you'll be OK. All the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (496)
59.76%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.18%
No- I want it (235)
28.31%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.75%

Watched Threads