Law or Economics or Both (University) ?!?! PLEASE HELP

Watch this thread
rachellouise21
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello all,
I am currently in year 12 and I had been planning on doing a law degree at Uni since the start of the year. However, I currently do Economics A level and it is one of my strongest subjects and really interests me, as I have quite a business orientated mind. If I were to go into law I would most likely go into corporate law, If I were to go into Economics I am not sure on what career path I would take, a lot of people recommended civil service to me but I dont really know anything about it or the types of jobs you can get. So I was wondering whether I should do:
Law
Economics
Law and Economics (I know queen mary uni does this)
Economics then conversion into Law

In addition to this, I am currently doing an Extended project on Law, should I change this to Economics or both?

I also have not done any work experience yet (school informed us v late i know), should I do Law or Economics work experience

Please respond, I need advice asap!
Thank you so much
Last edited by rachellouise21; 2 years ago
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rachellouise21)
Hello all,
I am currently in year 12 and I had been planning on doing a law degree at Uni since the start of the year. However, I currently do Economics A level and it is one of my strongest subjects and really interests me, as I have quite a business orientated mind. If I were to go into law I would most likely go into corporate law, If I were to go into Economics I am not sure on what career path I would take, a lot of people recommended civil service to me but I dont really know anything about it or the types of jobs you can get. So I was wondering whether I should do:
Law
Economics

In addition to this, I am currently doing an Extended project on Law, should I change this to Economics or both?

I also have not done any work experience yet (school informed us v late i know), should I do Law or Economics work experience

Thank you so much
Hi there,

A Law degree and Economics degree are quite different - Economics is more mathematical and in a sense is more academic in the sense that you can do a Masters or research - this isn’t something you can do with Law. Research more into both degrees to decide what interests you most.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rachellouise21)
Hello all,
Law
Economics

Thank you so much
You don't need work experience for a Law degree so don't worry about that. Have you been to any uni Open Days yet - you should do so and attend the subject talks for Economics and Law. Also, how good at maths are you and are you taking it at A level? Economics degrees are a lot more mathematical in content than at A level which is why a lot of unis require Maths A level rather than Economics A level.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
For economics degree like harrysbar said, you need a maths a level for its content so I would look at BA instead of Bsc if you are eligible for any because your choices will be limited and look at its modules to see if you're interested in the content. I would also look at the modules for the law degree because most law degrees have the same modules as it's needed to be qualifying (doesn't really matter anymore if it's qualifying when you enter but the modules you learn will help you in the exams to become a lawyer). It depends if you want to be a solicitor or barrister: becoming a solicitor is easier and cheaper when you go to uni because you can do both degrees and do the sqe while becoming a barrister, you still need to do the conversion for the BPTC. For the EPQ, if the law one you're doing rn is something that interests you, I suggest sticking to it but if there's something that interests in economics, go for it if you want.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (40)
32.52%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
44.72%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (27)
21.95%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.81%

Watched Threads