This discussion is closed.
ell_lou_liz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me?

basically I am looking into post grad entry medicine for 2021. after I finish my undergrad. I have looked online and seen that either a UCAT or GAMSAT apitude test is required. I am very confused at how I actually go about applying for post grad entry when there are so many different entry criteria for each uni. I understand I go through ucas again. my current uni doesn't offer much support to how these programmes work and I was hoping someone on here would be able to break it all down for me?

I am looking at kings College, Barts, St Georges, Southhampton and Birmingham currently!
SS869
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
So I would say there are a few steps and you are half way there already by looking into the unis etc

1. Select universities you will have a good chance at- for example Birmingham for graduate entry medicine you get many more points for actually having completed your degree compared to applying in the final year of you degree. Take into account the number of places the unis have etc etc

2. Once you have picked your universities you will know what entrance exams to book in... some people choose to pick universities that require the UCAT only as they dont want to sit both the UCAT and the GAMSAT and can therefore try and focus on doing really well in one. Getting a good grade in these is important since universities will have a cut off and you wont get an interview unless you meet that cut-off regardless of experience, degree classification etc (most universities are transparent about their cut off marks)

3. Gain experience between now and next October so you can use this as fuel power in your personal statement, interviews etc etc

Happy to answer anymore questions, but I am by no means and expert, just talking from personal experience! . I applied this year to Kings, Queen Marys, Birmingham and Warwick (I chose these because they were all UCAT). I was rejected on UCAT score from Kings and Queen Marys, and had interviews with Birmingham and Warwick. I have an offer from Birmingham for September and am still waiting to hear from Warwick
ell_lou_liz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by SS869)
So I would say there are a few steps and you are half way there already by looking into the unis etc

1. Select universities you will have a good chance at- for example Birmingham for graduate entry medicine you get many more points for actually having completed your degree compared to applying in the final year of you degree. Take into account the number of places the unis have etc etc

2. Once you have picked your universities you will know what entrance exams to book in... some people choose to pick universities that require the UCAT only as they dont want to sit both the UCAT and the GAMSAT and can therefore try and focus on doing really well in one. Getting a good grade in these is important since universities will have a cut off and you wont get an interview unless you meet that cut-off regardless of experience, degree classification etc (most universities are transparent about their cut off marks)

3. Gain experience between now and next October so you can use this as fuel power in your personal statement, interviews etc etc

Happy to answer anymore questions, but I am by no means and expert, just talking from personal experience! . I applied this year to Kings, Queen Marys, Birmingham and Warwick (I chose these because they were all UCAT). I was rejected on UCAT score from Kings and Queen Marys, and had interviews with Birmingham and Warwick. I have an offer from Birmingham for September and am still waiting to hear from Warwick
thank you so much for your response. In regards to ucas applications, would I apply first and then sit the UCAT/GAMSAT tests? I haven't seen any deadlines yet for applications so I'm presuming I will be applying October 2021! you've really helped a lot with this!!
SS869
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
No no... so the application deadline will be like October 13th (around then)

You can sit this tests in summer time- if you check the UCAT and GAMSAT websites it will say when their booking opens this year and then people usually sit them between like June through to September time (again all the dates will be available on those websites so dont stress)

But you have to have sat the tests before you apply and tbh you would have done anyway because they will have stopped running them by October
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.63%
I don't have everything I need (260)
44.37%

Watched Threads