Fascists beat up Filipino mistaken for Chinese Watch

AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
According to a report by GMA News stringer Pia Gonzales-Abucay on Unang Balita on Thursday, the discrimination started after Italy confirmed its first two coronavirus infection.

Brandon Diaz, who is based in Rome, was attacked by four men who told him Chinese nationals should leave Italy. The 22-year-old Filipino sustained bruises on his head and body.

Diaz has already reported the incident to the Philippine Embassy.

Nolasco Sta. Isabel, who has been residing in Rome for over 30 years, said people in public transport were keeping their distance from him.

In a Facebook post of Linda Reyes Gregorio, she shared an experience when she lost her composure and told discriminatory people that she and her companions were not Chinese but actually Filipinos.

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/pino...story/?just_in

I take issue not only with the actions, which are awful, and the hatred they display towards China, but also the notion the article and Filipinos online are spreading that it would be okay if they were only attacking Chinese???
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/asse...-story-top.jpg

Dalai Says Relax
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well it proves theyre morons if nothing else. Malays/Filipinos look nothing like China people.
Quixote.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Any form of racism is unacceptable and unnecessary. However, it seems a little over-reported in the media. I mean there's bigger stuff going on here. Everything seems to be deflecting attention away from China. From the Chinese government's cover-up and screw ups that allowed millions of people to leave Wuhan and the disease to spread, from the human rights violations, from the brutal discrimination within China towards anyone suspected of being from Wuhan (which is resulting in beatings in the street, people being imprisoned against their will, etc.). The media likes to make it a race thing, an Asian people vs everybody else thing... but as somebody who lives in East Asia, I can assure you that the worst of the racism and discrimination is taking place here. Where I live in Japan it exists, but it's worst in China. I think people are kidding themselves if they claim that they wouldn't also be a little concerned to be around somebody from Wuhan, or somebody who appears sick, at this moment. It's horrible, but only natural, and a consequence of the lies people have been fed up until now and the poor handling of the situation overall. Also, the numerous Chinese people who have bragged on social media about dodging the quarantine and checks and left the country certainly isn't helping the image of Chinese people abroad either. But don't reports like these take attention away from the real problems.

The reaction from the Chinese government suggests that they realise this is a very serious situation. You don't just impose the largest quarantine in history as a containment method. That's a knee jerk reaction after a string of massive screw ups, and one of the main reasons why the discrimination has become so bad within China and elsewhere.
Last edited by Quixote.; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (477)
59.4%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.35%
No- I want it (230)
28.64%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.6%

Watched Threads