PhD in Primary Care/Population Healrh/Medical Informatics Watch

RD48
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi !

I had applied to two universities for the January funding deadline and didn’t make it for primary care and population health interviews for PhD.

I am an overseas student, currently in the United States. I was thinking if it makes sense to apply contact potential supervisors in February for PhDs starting in October 2020. Am I late ?
I know that main Oxbridge funding deadlines have passed.

Is there still some hope to receive an offer at this point if I apply ? I am fine with partial funding as well. Not very particular about funding.
I am interested in applying to University College London and University of Edinburgh.

Are there any popular scholarships that would still be open ?

Any insights or suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RD48)
Hi !

I had applied to two universities for the January funding deadline and didn’t make it for primary care and population health interviews for PhD.

I am an overseas student, currently in the United States. I was thinking if it makes sense to apply contact potential supervisors in February for PhDs starting in October 2020. Am I late ?

Is there still some hope to receive an offer at this point if I apply ? I am fine with partial funding as well. Not very particular about funding.
I am interested in applying to University College London and University of Edinburgh.

Thanks.
Yes you are already late for October 2020, but yes I would still contact supervisors. If you dont do this you'll get no where.

If you only need partial funding mention this in the email as this makes it significantly easier to get onto a program depending exactly how much you mean by partial funding...

The best scholarships are the ones the supervisor recommends as it is a familiar path for them, and one you can be confident is common for your field.
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RD48)
Hi !

Thanks.
I don't know abou your specific question but I am doing PhD in Primary Care & Public Health (not at Oxbridge) so if you have any questions about the course I can answer
RD48
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
Yes you are already late for October 2020, but yes I would still contact supervisors. If you dont do this you'll get no where.

If you only need partial funding mention this in the email as this makes it significantly easier to get onto a program depending exactly how much you mean by partial funding...

The best scholarships are the ones the supervisor recommends as it is a familiar path for them, and one you can be confident is common for your field.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I understand the importance of contacting the supervisors before applying.
I did so for my two previous applications and included their feedback in the research proposal. However, I was disappointed that I still did not get an interview shortlist.

I am going to anyway reach out to other professors now since there is time crunch.
Thanks for your advice, gives me hope. I guess there is no harm in trying again.
RD48
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JamesManc)
I don't know abou your specific question but I am doing PhD in Primary Care & Public Health (not at Oxbridge) so if you have any questions about the course I can answer
Thank you so much for your reply.
Would really like to know more about your experience while applying to schools and likewise!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?