Lucu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Yes I know that there is already a forum but a lot of firms have either just closed or are just opening their Legal apprenticeships applications for 2020, let’s give advice, share experiences & support eachother as many firms only recruit under 10 legal apprentices at a time
Starsis20
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello I thought I was the only one. No one is really talking about the law apprenticeships so how is your application process going. I am so nervous...
Haider_A
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ask me if you have any questions; I've been through the process and I'm now an apprentice solicitor
Starsis20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Haider_A)
Ask me if you have any questions; I've been through the process and I'm now an apprentice solicitor
Great! Well I have been applying to many legal apprenticeships but I just feel very unsure at the moment. The application processes are really nerve-wracking and I am just nervous that I won't get an apprenticeship
Haider_A
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Starsis20)
Great! Well I have been applying to many legal apprenticeships but I just feel very unsure at the moment. The application processes are really nerve-wracking and I am just nervous that I won't get an apprenticeship
I can relate but what gave me reassurance is that even if I didn't get an offer, I still experienced the full application process which would prepare me for later in life, when applying for training contracts and vac schemes.

Take each step of the application as it comes and prepare really well; don't worry about the next steps that are further down the line until you have completed and prepared well for the next stage
Lucu
Rep:
?
I can relate but what gave me reassurance is that even if I didn't get an offer, I still experienced the full application process which would prepare me for later in life, when applying for training contracts and vac schemes.

Take each step of the application as it comes and prepare really well; don't worry about the next steps that are further down the line until you have completed and prepared well for the next stage
I wish that were the case for me, I applied for burges salmon and they wouldn’t even give me feedback on my rejection, I had a strong application and I don’t know where I went wrong, it really isn’t fair for firms to do that
Haider_A
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lucu)
I wish that were the case for me, I applied for burges salmon and they wouldn’t even give me feedback on my rejection, I had a strong application and I don’t know where I went wrong, it really isn’t fair for firms to do that
I agree and that's why most major law firms do offer feedback; I didn't apply to smaller firms like Burges Salmon so i can't really comment.

Where else did you apply?
Starsis20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree and that's why most major law firms do offer feedback; I didn't apply to smaller firms like Burges Salmon so i can't really comment.

I applied to Eversheds and I was rejected. However, on their rejection email they clearly stated they won't be giving feedback which I think is extremely unfair...
Last edited by Starsis20; 1 month ago
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

This is actually a really good point that no one else has made in relation to apprenticeships - writing apps, interviewing, etc. is a skill that can be practised and perfected, and having some experience as a law student that is going straight into first year applications may make all the difference (even if it just takes the stress/unfamiliarity away)
Lucu
Rep:
?

I’ve applied for Osborne Clarke, but I’m too nervous to apply for any big firms, just can’t imagine I’d get a place!
Haider_A
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lucu)
I’ve applied for Osborne Clarke, but I’m too nervous to apply for any big firms, just can’t imagine I’d get a place!
That's the wrong attitude!!

Definitely apply to any and every firm that you feel like is a right fit for you and you are a right fit for it, be it a high street firm or an international firm.

Don't let reputation keep you from possibly embarking onto an amazing apprenticeship
Haider_A
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I applied to Eversheds and I was rejected. However, on their rejection email they clearly stated they won't be giving feedback which I think is extremely unfair...
I just feel that these firms are continuously rejecting me and it is making me insecure about my applications and grades. I constantly redraft, and ask experienced people to look over them for me so I am not quite sure what I am doing wrong its a long and draining process.
Eversheds didn't offer you feedback?

That's very odd; I was under the impression that they would.

Maybe try asking for feedback anyway by emailing HR and explain how valuable it would be for you.
Starsis20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Eversheds didn't offer you feedback?

That's very odd; I was under the impression that they would.

Maybe try asking for feedback anyway by emailing HR and explain how valuable it would be for you.
I could but it was only after the application stage
Last edited by Starsis20; 1 month ago
Haider_A
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I could but it was only after the application stage I’m putting in a lot of effort for my applications so I don’t understand why I’m not getting recognised.
Some general tips would be to ensure you include examples to back up your points and make sure those examples are relevant! Use the 'STAR' method (search it up) to help structure your responses.

Improve on your commercial awareness. Essentially, this is reading around your area of interests in a wider, business sense, e.g. reading/watching the news daily.

Get to know the firm well before you apply. You can do this through their website; explore it well, e.g. the firm's structure, offices, practice areas, VALUES.

Once you've done the above, incorporate it all into your answer and make sure your answer is relevant to the question.
Lucu
Rep:
?
Some general tips would be to ensure you include examples to back up your points and make sure those examples are relevant! Use the 'STAR' method (search it up) to help structure your responses.

Improve on your commercial awareness. Essentially, this is reading around your area of interests in a wider, business sense, e.g. reading/watching the news daily.

Get to know the firm well before you apply. You can do this through their website; explore it well, e.g. the firm's structure, offices, practice areas, VALUES.

Once you've done the above, incorporate it all into your answer and make sure your answer is relevant to the question.
Do you find the star method helpful?
Haider_A
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lucu)
Do you find the star method helpful?
It certainly helps but I wouldn't overly depend on it, because it gives the impression of imposed structure in an interview. It's best as a guideline and then using your words as a way of seamlessly transitioning between points
Lucu
Rep:
?
Has anybody heard back from WBD yet?
Brooke456
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello I thought I was the only one. No one is really talking about the law apprenticeships so how is your application process going. I am so nervous...
Did anyone apply to Dentons or Kennedy’s?
Lucu
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Has anybody heard back from Womble Bond Dickinson?
Lucu
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Has anybody been shortlisted or recieved an update on shortlisting?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (56)
47.86%
No, they should still go ahead (29)
24.79%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (32)
27.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed