The Student Room Group

Durham or St. Andrews for Economics?

I have received offers from both of my first choice universities for Economics; but now I don't know which one I would like to go to now... I like both universities equally.

Just abit about me, I would prefer the more mathematical course as I love maths and I have intentions of going into investment banking.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you!
Reply 1
Well done, they are both excellent universities.

If you like them equally, then look at other factors, like travel convenience etc. St Andrews is a 4 year course, so you will have more debt (if that bothers you), but you would have the chance to study 2 or 3 other subjects in the first two years. Does that appeal to you?
Going through a very similar situation myself man ... just got offers from Warwick and St Andrews. For me I think St Andrews just about wins since it's so dedicated to student satisfaction which is a huge plus. Also, Im doing Spanish at A level (yeah I know its weird since I'm applying for econ) and I really wanna keep it up at uni so the major-minor system seems pretty cool.
Original post by That_Guy_Omzz
I have received offers from both of my first choice universities for Economics; but now I don't know which one I would like to go to now... I like both universities equally.

Just abit about me, I would prefer the more mathematical course as I love maths and I have intentions of going into investment banking.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you!

For investment banking durham >>>> because its closer to london. Also its gained a bit of a better rep over the years as durhams considered a strong semi-target (would probably be a weak target like warwick if it weren't for the distance) whereas st andrews just doesn't have that same rep. You spend an extra year in the st andrews course which might not sound as bad but it means more debt and a high opportunity cost (that extra year will not only cost you 9k, it will cost you an extra 40-50k opportunity cost as you could be working as an ib in this year if you went durham.)
Reply 4
Durham is my home university. It is a very good institution and I love it with a passion. However, to say it has a better reputation than St Andrews is not correct.

In its favour, the fact that it's closer to London by train and it has colleges. On the other hand, St Andrews is not too far from Edinburgh airport and has academic families.

A 'target' university only really means that companies set up recruitment stalls at the university careers fair. Hence, they usually favour universities which are easy to get to from London. A good candidate is a good candidate no matter what university they attended.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by StDave
Well done, they are both excellent universities.

If you like them equally, then look at other factors, like travel convenience etc. St Andrews is a 4 year course, so you will have more debt (if that bothers you), but you would have the chance to study 2 or 3 other subjects in the first two years. Does that appeal to you?

Travel and length isnt really a problem. But studying two subjects is very appealing as I would enjoy doing some extra maths modules as well economics.
Original post by jeffrey3010
Going through a very similar situation myself man ... just got offers from Warwick and St Andrews. For me I think St Andrews just about wins since it's so dedicated to student satisfaction which is a huge plus. Also, Im doing Spanish at A level (yeah I know its weird since I'm applying for econ) and I really wanna keep it up at uni so the major-minor system seems pretty cool.

Wow congratulations, Im also leaning towards St. Andrews. However, ill make my decision after I visit both universities.
Original post by 13ybr1024
For investment banking durham >>>> because its closer to london. Also its gained a bit of a better rep over the years as durhams considered a strong semi-target (would probably be a weak target like warwick if it weren't for the distance) whereas st andrews just doesn't have that same rep. You spend an extra year in the st andrews course which might not sound as bad but it means more debt and a high opportunity cost (that extra year will not only cost you 9k, it will cost you an extra 40-50k opportunity cost as you could be working as an ib in this year if you went durham.)

Understandably, the distance may be a problem, but after looking at numerous profiles on LinkedIn, it seems that St Andrews students get similar BB internships to Durham students despite the distance.
(edited 4 years ago)
Understandably, the problem may be a problem, but after looking at numerous profiles on LinkedIn, it seems that St Andrews students get similar BB internships to Durham students despite the distance.

I do this as well. Just pick whatever you personally want. Take into account expenses, course and wether you want 3 or 4 years in uni.
Original post by 13ybr1024
I do this as well. Just pick whatever you personally want. Take into account expenses, course and wether you want 3 or 4 years in uni.

*I meant distance may be a problem on my last reply😅
Anyway thank you for the reply, btw are you already at uni or a prospective student.
Reply 10
Wow congratulations, Im also leaning towards St. Andrews. However, ill make my decision after I visit both universities.

This is very sensible. You can't beat actually visiting.
*I meant distance may be a problem on my last reply😅
Anyway thank you for the reply, btw are you already at uni or a prospective student.

Prospect. Planning on firming my durham econ offer. You going on offer holder day next wednesday?
Reply 12
What did you guys eventually go for?
Original post by MARCU51
What did you guys eventually go for?

Holy **** this is a throwback hahaha. I’m in my last year at St Andrews. Didn’t end up doing Spanish at all. The uni also gave 0 ****s about our student wellbeing. And I was severely depressed throughout all of my first two years. But I’d still say it was the best decision of my life, just for the people I’ve met along the way and the person I’ve become through these tough experiences. How about you?
Reply 14
Holy **** this is a throwback hahaha. I’m in my last year at St Andrews. Didn’t end up doing Spanish at all. The uni also gave 0 ****s about our student wellbeing. And I was severely depressed throughout all of my first two years. But I’d still say it was the best decision of my life, just for the people I’ve met along the way and the person I’ve become through these tough experiences. How about you?

Ohh I'm in the position you were 3 years ago.

Choosing whether to pick Durham or St Andrews
Reply 15

Alos does At Andrews provide some good work opinions after uni? bcs just like you I will also be applying for a Econ degree, so I would like to get the opinion of someone what has already gone though the experience I might have

Latest

Trending

Trending