aimee.ley
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm 'trying' to revise for eng lit exam, but struggling on how to remember it all, but want to get a good grade? any help?
β0b
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
you not gonna like mine. go to your teacher or the best one you know and work with them. when you get some quotes, write em in a book in your spare time and test yourself
witheredhope7
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hmmm... Well, what I did was instead of learning masses and masses of quotations, I did scene by scene analysis. For example, if I thought a certain scene was important I would draw up a table and analyse the language and structure, then I would talk about context relevant to the passage, I would do this for seven to eight scenes in the novel/play, and then once I got the hang of it- I would jot everything down in bullet points onto post-it notes (Like instead of writing down the analysis of the language, I would jot down all the subject terminology related to the passage). For poems- don't bother learning the whole thing, simply a few quotations here and there. I think reading everything over and over again, is a helpful technique, blurting is very useful as well... however, don't forget to have a few quotations of other scenes that are less important as well, just in case.
Hope it helps
e.im04
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by aimee.ley)
I'm 'trying' to revise for eng lit exam, but struggling on how to remember it all, but want to get a good grade? any help?
which texts/plays/poetry do you study and which exam board
aka_amani
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Best way to remember it all it to try to really enjoy your texts and engage with them, one of the best forms of revision in terms of remembering for english lit in my opinion is to watch the film/tv versions of your texts as many times as possible. I think it just really helps cement quotes and story lines in your head For things like poetry or the actual analysis of quotations, I'd recommend making word documents containing key quotes and their analysis as revision notes, and definitely try and learn the skill of analysis rather than memorisation. That means if you get stuck in the exam you can still work through it on the spot! Hope this helps
aimee.ley
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by e.im04)
which texts/plays/poetry do you study and which exam board
aqa exam board, inspector calls, christmas carol, romeo and juliet.
ShigarakiT
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aimee.ley)
aqa exam board, inspector calls, christmas carol, romeo and juliet.
Oof, I remember doing An Inspector Calls, I hated it :/
Try and make a bunch of quotes per character, a few per theme and a few extra for certain interesting/important things you may have picked up on. Write them on revision cards and get a friend to test you maybe three times a day. Make a mind map with all the potential arguments and contexts you may want to explore in your essay/exam so you don't get too caught up in remembering just quotes. Try listening to youtube videos and podcasts that explain the poetry and the texts in detail, since you can remember something better if you have a thorough understanding of it.
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (267)
60.96%
Yes- I don't like it (21)
4.79%
No- I want it (117)
26.71%
No- I don't want it (33)