AS Maths Statistics Random Variable Problem

Watch this thread
dxnixl
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I’m struggling with the following question. I’ll attach it in the next post. Any helps appreciated

Thxs
dxnixl
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Name:  3602E5B2-F6EB-495F-9CB5-1362EECAD656.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  30.8 KB
dxnixl
Rep:
Bump
Help plz
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dxnixl)
Bump
Help plz
What have you tried / what are you stuck with? You must know binomial formula etc?
dxnixl
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
What have you tried / what are you stuck with? You must know binomial formula etc?
Yep I know the binomial formula and substituted r with k, but it’s impossible to simplify.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yep I know the binomial formula and substituted r with k, but it’s impossible to simplify.
Which one did you try and looking at the first probability, 0.02, k must be fairly small?
Or use the guassian approximation if you've covered that?
Post your working?
Last edited by mqb2766; 2 years ago
dxnixl
Rep:
Which one did you try and looking at the first probability, 0.02, k must be fairly small?
Post your working?
I’ve never seen a problem like this so this is all I managed
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Is that the same question / answer?
dxnixl
Rep:
Is that the same question / answer?
No it’s a similar question but with P(50,0.4) however it’s asking for the same thing. I just want to focus on the question in the original post

Thxs
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
No it’s a similar question but with P(50,0.4) however it’s asking for the same thing. I just want to focus on the question in the original post

Thxs
How about putting right numbers in for the question you're asking
What is the value when k=0, k=1 ...? You're being asked to evaulate when the cumulative probability is small, so it must be close to zero?
dxnixl
Rep:
How about putting right numbers in for the question you're asking
What is the value when k=0, k=1 ...? You're being asked to evaulate when the cumulative probability is small, so it must be close to zero?
Name:  5F78884F-7117-4610-AAFD-91693613F689.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  72.4 KB
I did this... but idk if that’s how the answers correct. It seems like trial and error
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Why is X distributed binomially under the parameters n=50,p=0.4 ?

Question clearly states X \sim B(40,0.1).

Anyway,
\displaystyle P(X<k) = P(X \leq k-1) = \sum_{r=0}^{k-1} P(X=r) = \sum_{r=0}^{k-1} \binom{40}{r}(0.1)^r(0.9)^{40-r}

You can enter this into your calculator. The only thing you need to vary is the upper limit of the sum. You should try some small values first and see if your result is <0.02. If it is, increase the upper limit by 1 and look at the new result.
Keep doing this until you get a probability that is >0.02.

The upper limit will be precisely the value of k.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I did this... but idk if that’s how the answers correct. It seems like trial and error

Right answer, but your answer is really looking the probabilities, not their cumulative value. Same result, but you'd need to be clear in your working
dxnixl
Rep:
Right answer, but your answer is really looking the probabilities, not their cumulative value. Same result, but you'd need to be clear in your working
Could you please show a working example for all the questions above?

I don’t mind if you use a different value for p and n, it’d just give a clear idea as to how I should approach the question(s). That way, I can apply it to this and other similar questions
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Could you please show a working example for all the questions above?

I don’t mind if you use a different value for p and n, it’d just give a clear idea as to how I should approach the question(s). That way, I can apply it to this and other similar questions
Pretty much what you've done, but
P(x < k) = P(x=0) + P(x=1) + ... + P(x=k-1)
You've tested the values, not their sum, on the right. You need to test the cumulative sum. Same result though.
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Trial and error is the best way to do questions like this. Assuming you're using your calculator (if you're not then you should be), you should be using the cumulative binomial function to find P(x<=k).
AGrizzlyBearo
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
If you haven't already, get yourself an a level calculator:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FX-991EX-Ad...1100826&sr=8-2
dxnixl
Rep:
Pretty much what you've done, but
P(x < k) = P(x=0) + P(x=1) + ... + P(x=k-1)
You've tested the values, not their sum, on the right. You need to test the cumulative sum. Same result though.
Ahh I think I got it! Ty! If I have an issue I’ll post here! same for Sir Cumference and RDKGames
dxnixl
Rep:
Hey, just managed to finish my painful HW! Thankyou RDKGames AGrizzlyBearo Sir Cumference mqb2766

Name:  224C2182-6386-4F42-BC60-447E16109E3E.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  126.9 KB
Attached files
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hey, just managed to finish my painful HW! Thankyou RDKGames AGrizzlyBearo Sir Cumference mqb2766

Name:  224C2182-6386-4F42-BC60-447E16109E3E.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  126.9 KB
Note that a guestimate for Q8 would be the normal approximation (if you've covered this yet)
np = 4
sqrt(npq) ~ 2
So two standard deviations about the mean would give 95% of the mass of the distribution so
0 < X < 8
At around these critical points you'd get the tails of the distribution which is what the question was asking about. Note that the normal approximation is only a guide here ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
12%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (6)
6%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (17)
17%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
21%

Watched Threads